C4 Forums | Control4

Help with programming

poscash3757

Any help please. I am trying to set a bath motion sensor to shut off the fan and or lights after 10 minutes of inactivity. My issue is the timer is running out before ten minutes are up and even when there is still motion going on. A few jpegs are attached. Any input would be appreciated.

Matt

You have a 'stop timer' when the motion sensor detects motion.

remove that line of code and you should be fine.

- currently when the motion sensor is triggered, the timer is stopped due to this line of code - causing the lights and fan to turn off.

Than you I will give a spin. I am headed into the shower I will let you know if I shower in the dark or not. LOL

You have a 'stop timer' when the motion sensor detects motion.

remove that line of code and you should be fine.

- currently when the motion sensor is triggered' date=' the timer is stopped due to this line of code - causing the lights and fan to turn off.[/quote']

Than you I will give a spin. I am headed into the shower I will let you know if I shower in the dark or not. LOL

Thanks, but I had the same issue. I wonder if the motion sensor detects motion through the shower glass? The unit is only 6 feet away from the shower glass. As soon I open the shower door the sensor detects motion and will turn on the light.

Matt

Did you do refresh navigator after programming changes?

I doubt the motion sensor will detect through glass, otherwise burglar alarms would activate from outdoor activity.

Am I correct to assume you want the lights and fan to turn on when motion is sensed and stay on until 10 mins after motion was last sensed?

If so it appears you have everything correct except that one line of code I pointed out earlier.

Make sure the timer is actually set as 10 mins length

How I have done mine at home: (or at least something along these lines......)

When motion sensor senses motion:

if night time

if timer is running

reset timer

if timer is not running

start timer

When timer is started:

turn on lights

When timer expires:

turn off lights

Did you do refresh navigator after programming changes?

I doubt the motion sensor will detect through glass, otherwise burglar alarms would activate from outdoor activity.

Am I correct to assume you want the lights and fan to turn on when motion is sensed and stay on until 10 mins after motion was last sensed?

If so it appears you have everything correct except that one line of code I pointed out earlier.

Thanks again. Yes I did refresh. What I really want out of the timer/motion is to shut off the lights and fan when not in use, but stay on when in use. The problem I am having now if we take a shower that last longer than 10 minutes. The lights shut off. I have to assume it is the shower glass.

Make sure the timer is actually set as 10 mins length

How I have done mine at home: (or at least something along these lines......)

When motion sensor senses motion:

if night time

if timer is running

reset timer

if timer is not running

start timer

When timer is started:

turn on lights

When timer expires:

turn off lights

I have that command when the motion does not sense motion. I will try that this evening.

Thanks

Matt

In your 2nd screen shot you have 2 different timers. What's the other timer doing on expiration?

When I saw this programming error, I thought it was my problem. I fixed it a few days ago but it still happens. I just posted the wrong screen shot. Good catch on the screen shot.

Matt

There are obviously different approaches for this, but here is how I do it,

when motion sensed

-stop timer

-turn on whatever

when motion stop sensed

-reset timer

Just like Dan said above, start timer only causes problems. If your motion senses motion at the 5 minute mark your timer stops. Then when the motion stops your programming tells it to just start which means now your timer is only 5 minutes long.

There are obviously different approaches for this, but here is how I do it,

when motion sensed

-stop timer

-turn on whatever

when motion stop sensed

-reset timer

Just like Dan said above, start timer only causes problems. If your motion senses motion at the 5 minute mark your timer stops. Then when the motion stops your programming tells it to just start which means now your timer is only 5 minutes long.

ok Thanks everyone. I will change start to reset and see where it goes.

I understand reset will "reset " the timer when prompted but will also "start" the timer when reset is prompted?

Matt

Yeah, let me give you an example. The timer is set for 10 minutes, and you walk in your bathroom, which starts the timer. You're in there for 8.5 minutes. It stops sensing motion so the timer stops with 1.5 minutes left. Now, when you come back in and it senses motion, it will start where it left off...1.5 minutes remaining. If you Reset, it will dial it back up to 10 minutes then start.

Yeah, let me give you an example. The timber is set for 10 minutes, and you walk in your bathroom, which starts the timer. You're in there for 8.5 minutes. It did sensing motion so the timer stops with 1.5 minutes left. Now, when you come back in and it senses motion, it will start where it left off...1.5 minutes remaining. If you Reset, it will dial it back up to 10 minutes then start.

Oh now the grasshopper understands the master!

Thanks

Matt

Thanks again. Yes I did refresh. What I really want out of the timer/motion is to shut off the lights and fan when not in use, but stay on when in use. The problem I am having now if we take a shower that last longer than 10 minutes. The lights shut off. I have to assume it is the shower glass.

Find the balance that works, there will always be exceptions until C4 comes up with mind reading abilities.

If you find most of the time you are simply in there for 2 mins to use the toilet, then you may want to have the timer turn off lights after only a few mins.

You can then use an on click to override the timer to keep the lights and fan on permanently during showers.

Then use the off click turn the lights off, but leave the fan on for 15 mins to do the final steam clearing....

-also do your sensors have an led on them? - you should be able to move around in the shower and see if motion is sensed to prove your point, but I'm pretty sure they won't sense through glass.

Thanks again. Yes I did refresh. What I really want out of the timer/motion is to shut off the lights and fan when not in use' date=' but stay on when in use. The problem I am having now if we take a shower that last longer than 10 minutes. The lights shut off. I have to assume it is the shower glass.[/quote']

Find the balance that works, there will always be exceptions until C4 comes up with mind reading abilities.

If you find most of the time you are simply in there for 2 mins to use the toilet, then you may want to have the timer turn off lights after only a few mins.

You can then use an on click to override the timer to keep the lights and fan on permanently during showers.

Then use the off click turn the lights off, but leave the fan on for 15 mins to do the final steam clearing....

-also do your sensors have an led on them? - you should be able to move around in the shower and see if motion is sensed to prove your point, but I'm pretty sure they won't sense through glass.

They do not sense though the glass. I tested it today while cleaning the glass. I was able to jump and dance around with nothing triggering the motion. As soon as I opened the glass door the sensor picked me up. I have made the changes to the timers as suggested. Well they did not shut off on us today. I will try to tweak it a little on the time as we progress. I reset the timer length to 15 minutes. So far it worked for my wife and myself. Now the room is on for 15 minutes longer than I would like but I guess it is better me screaming at my teenagers to shut the lights!

Thanks for the input

Archived