C4 Forums | Control4

AM Antenna: Weak signal

Letran

The C4 Multi tuner did not come with any antennas (at least not mine)

I stole from my receiver the AM & FM antennaes. The FM works OK ( it is clear but a stronger signal will be nice) The AM signal is very weak if you strain enough you could figure that you have the right station. But nothing bearable that you could listen too.

The multi tuner is in the basement.

1. Is this common with the multi-tuner? Is it defective? I'm thinking I should have a stronger signal even without an antenna.

2. Any suggestions in getting a stronger signal.

I tied the loop straight-up 2ft below the ceiling. I separated from the FM antenna ( this helped my FM but not AM. The Source(RadioShack )did not have anything for me.

I'm running out of ideas. Help

Alan is correct, AM sucks indoors. The reason AM radio has such a spectacular range is because of its ability to reflect off surfaces (including the atmosphere, especially at night). Therefore it cannot penetrate walls very well. Steel beams and florescent lights really give AM signals problems as well.

AM reception can be problematic overall. I usually avoid using the multi-tuner for AM. there was one guy who insisted on listening to Rush (but I can't for the life of understand why).

You could try an active antenna or relocating the tuner.

Again with the Canadian music bashing... What's wrong with Mr. Lee? :)

You may be out of luck.

I have the C4 tuner in my basement. The reception is awful.

My dealer suggested running a coax to the attic and trying a few antennas. In the end, I settled for the antenna that had the least static. My wife listens to a local radio station every morning and some days the static is terrible.

I am hoping that the C4store internet radio app will provide an alternative. The first step is to upgrade to 2.xxx

Well, these were really not the response I was hoping for but at least It will stop me from trying other solutions to get a better signal.

btw, I have the optional XM adapter for this C4 tuner. That wouldn't help would it? How does this XM module work anyway does it have to be installed outside? (I would guess being a satellite reception) Can I piggy back an AM antenna maybe?

Archived