C4 Forums | Control4

Pandora App in the App Store?

C4Newbie

• 4 weeks later...
buy a sonos and integrate it with EV driver as one of the inputs in your system. its the way to go. sonos also gives you wolfgangs vault, sirius, internet radio, etc...

The idea of control4 should be that I don't have to buy a ton of other parties solutions. An app should be easy for this, as pandora is internet and free. Someone just has to do it and control4 to allow it.

Maybe control4 signed something with rhapsody saying they can't do another internet music solution for X years?

^ sometimes what seems simple is not so much - "An app should be easy for this, as pandora is internet and free" . Rhapsody and Spotify, both streaming services, for example - require server side daemons to be written and run on the the HC controller (or in the case of Sonos on the ZP itself) in addition to the front end. Not to mention the C4 integration points that need consideration and coding, think zones, etc.

It's not that I disagree with your perspective - because I don't. Control4 needs to beef up it;s support of streaming media services, Internet radio and the likes - and improve the UI.

Net-net go pick up a used ZP80 and tie it into your setup and see if you don't agree.

^ sometimes what seems simple is not so much - "An app should be easy for this, as pandora is internet and free" . Rhapsody and Spotify, both streaming services, for example - require server side daemons to be written and run on the the HC controller (or in the case of Sonos on the ZP itself) in addition to the front end. Not to mention the C4 integration points that need consideration and coding, think zones, etc.

It's not that I disagree with your perspective - because I don't. Control4 needs to beef up it;s support of streaming media services, Internet radio and the likes - and improve the UI.

Net-net go pick up a used ZP80 and tie it into your setup and see if you don't agree.

Oh, I guess things are harder than they seem, still will be cool to see it one day. I do have Pandora on my DVD player, but not sure if there is a driver for it to Control4, I'm guessing no?

buy a sonos and integrate it with EV driver as one of the inputs in your system. its the way to go. sonos also gives you wolfgangs vault' date=' sirius, internet radio, etc...[/quote']

The idea of control4 should be that I don't have to buy a ton of other parties solutions. An app should be easy for this, as pandora is internet and free. Someone just has to do it and control4 to allow it.

Maybe control4 signed something with rhapsody saying they can't do another internet music solution for X years?

I have to disagree here. I see Control4 as a central hub to integrate a home full of devices that don't otherwise work and play well together. Though I would have loved a less expensive software solution to buying Sonos devices for my house. BUT, I'm now able to control the Sonos S5 from keypads throughout my house, which is kind of sweet.

Very different. I already have rhapsody but love creating channels in pandora. Would be nice to have both integrated seamlessly through c4 without having to buy new hardware. Would happily buy an app.

I create channels in Rhapsody and save them.

• 10 months later...
Hi - is there anyway to get a music streaming service working outside of the USA through control4 without buying Sonos/EV?

Not sure what you mean. Sonos works fine in the US and it should work fine anywhere in the world as it streams internet radio, countless free stations worldwide.

The EV driver is not required to use it with control4; it just brings more functionality to the table if you want it.

Pandora is a much better set it and forget it option, with the ability to tweak the feed with likes and dislikes. Rhapsody requires too much user input and doesnt have this tweak feature.

I like Rhapsody, but I would love it if Pandora were an option. (listening to my brothers Pandora custom channel right now)

Pandora is a much better set it and forget it option, with the ability to tweak the feed with likes and dislikes. Rhapsody requires too much user input and doesnt have this tweak feature.

I like Rhapsody, but I would love it if Pandora were an option. (listening to my brothers Pandora custom channel right now)

Pandora is an option, whether through a Blu-ray player, Sonos/EV, or the Grace tuner. It's just not an out-of-the-box option rolled into the interface like Rhapsody.

I have rhapsody and 240 Internet radio station through just my C4 system and have pandora through my Samsung BD players that we never use...Internet radio can be loaded in your C4 system.

You can create artist channels like pandora in rhapsody.

Rhapsody is competing with Pandora in most categories, except it doesn't have the ability to play shared channels (my brothers Pandora Electronic channel), nor learn what music you like (likes/dislikes).

Rhapsody needs to start upping its game if it wants to compete with the new products out there (spotify, pandora, etc.).

We have been playing with a 3rd party component called Mirage MMS from Autonomic Controls.

It is an amazing server, they have a 2 way ip based driver for Control4 and other brands of automation systems.

It supports and allows you to play Pandora, Spotify, Tune-in radio, SiriusXM, Itunes and Windows Media library.

All in one C4 interface whether you use an iPad, iPhone, C4 in-walls or on-screen GUI!

We just integrated it into our office and I LOVE it. It is pricey BUT well worth it if you ask me.

Their servers come in 2 flavors:

2 simultaneous streams server (with 500GB hard drive). http://www.autonomic-controls.com/products_hardware_mirage_mms2.php

5 simultaneous streams server (with 1TB hard drive). http://www.autonomic-controls.com/products_hardware_mirage_mms5.php

Autonomic has released that the larger server will receive a software update which will turn it into a music and VIDEO server!

Check it out! It would make a great X-MAS, Hanukkah or Kwanza present!

Archived