C4 Forums | Control4

Outlet Dimmers For Sale.

Thumper

Yeah but I actually need to switch ON a light controller on for the christmas lights.

I've burned 2 fuses in 1 week and realized that I was using a dimmer to turn it on.

I've got another light controller turned on by an outlet switch and it works fine, not to mention of course that the LED indicators on the light controller are always on even when the dimmer is set to OFF this does not happen to an outlet switch.

I find for turning lamps/light etc except for LED bulbs the dimmers is fine set it to ramp to 0 and it as switch no dimming. But when used to turn on plugin heaters, CentralVacs, fog machines, projection light etc a true outlet switch is what you need.

Letran, you can program a dimmer to act just like a switch. Just set to ramp up to 100% over 0 seconds, and down to 0% over 0 seconds.

This was brought up once before, but from what I understood that it was not safe to put a motor device on a dimmer even with 0 seconds response to full ON or OFF. Based on the mechanics of the dimmer compared to a switch and not just the dimming part, but the true load handling (torque) when first powered on. Based on amps and not watts for 120v...

Then again, maybe I'm wrong... Wouldn't be the first time...

Letran' date=' you can program a dimmer to act just like a switch. Just set to ramp up to 100% over 0 seconds, and down to 0% over 0 seconds.[/quote']

This was brought up once before, but from what I understood that it was not safe to put a motor device on a dimmer even with 0 seconds response to full ON or OFF. Based on the mechanics of the dimmer compared to a switch and not just the dimming part, but the true load handling (torque) when first powered on. Based on amps and not watts for 120v...

Then again, maybe I'm wrong... Wouldn't be the first time...

You're correct. The way they physically work is different and for motors and such, a switch is the way to go.

Archived