C4 Forums | Control4

My DIY Rack

thinslis

Sure, he'll probably be fine. I was just expressing *my* opinion.

I have stairs out of my basement as a second egress point, and even with those, it's still code here to wrap the stairwells.

Uncovered stairwells are a nice chimney for a fire to get quickly to the main level of the home.

RyanE

Sure, he'll probably be fine. I was just expressing *my* opinion.

I have stairs out of my basement as a second egress point, and even with those, it's still code here to wrap the stairwells.

Uncovered stairwells are a nice chimney for a fire to get quickly to the main level of the home.

RyanE

Ryan, Thank you for your insight. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I'll be sure to sheetrock the equipment room when I get to the second phase.

Guy's. All my gear is under the stairs as well. My stair treads aren't enclosed either. They look just like the OP's

Holy Cow. Fire. I never thought of that!

My switch gear sits on a wooden floor. The stairs are wood... And I've just added in subfloor ventilation to cool the space (and now fuel oxygen to the flames!) Shxt!!

Q1/ Just what do you mean by properly sheetrock around the stairs?

Q2/ Are there any Control4 integrated fire alarm sensors, or do you guys do this through your alarm panels...

I think you'll be fine. Put a detector in that space if you become concerned. I actually use a small Kidde FM-200 based fire system for my equipment room.

This what you are using? http://www.kiddefiresystems.com/utcfs/Templates/Pages/Template-53/0,8062,pageId%3D851%26siteId%3D383,00.html

Looks like it will do the trick. Any chance of false discharge ... and ruining all the gear? ( what are the sensors..heat or smoke and can things like burning the toast be a problem? Thx as always...

FM-200 is clean,safe and environmentally friendly. It is electrically non conductive and occupies minimal storage area .It has zero effect

on earth's stratospheric ozone layer. Its primary action is through cooling the fire and removing heat energy so that the combustion action

cannot be sustained .It contains no particles or residues ,and eliminates the risk of damage to delicate equipment

FM-200 is clean,safe and environmentally friendly. It is electrically non conductive and occupies minimal storage area .It has zero effect

on earth's stratospheric ozone layer. Its primary action is through cooling the fire and removing heat energy so that the combustion action

cannot be sustained .It contains no particles or residues ,and eliminates the risk of damage to delicate equipment

Thanks! I'm onto it. Contacting the local distributors now!

• 3 years later...

Archived