C4 Forums | Control4

Integrated Intercom

alinford

The MT has all of the Equipment (Speaker & Microphone) Necessary to perform this function. Unfortunately the software hasn't been developed to support this. We have brought this up to Control4 and it is something in the pipeline but I wouldn't expect it in the near future.

Dan

Dan, that is what I have been told by several dealers. However, the post below by Ryan does not say that. Am I misunderstanding what he is saying?

http://www.mdaoe.com/smf/index.php?board=1;topic=493.2#msg2658

Apex:

I was wondering if anyone had heard about a firmware/software update that would allow users to use the mini-touches and LCD keypad as intercoms. My dealer said it was upcoming this year so I was interested in finding out any info on the subject.

Ryan:

There may be some sort of paging functionality with the mini-touch, but the zigbee LCD keypad does not have a microphone, because the zigbee network would be too slow to send the audio.

Also, it would likely only be some sort of paging functionality, because the mini-touch has to digitize (encode) the audio that the person speaks into the keypad, and decode the audio that the keypad receives from the other end.

A date or release number has not been announced for the functionality as of yet.

Hi Alinford,

Ryan is correct, the LCD keypad cannot support Intercom because it uses Zigbee as it's only form of communication. However the Mini Touch Screen can support it because it is communicating via TCPIP. Now as far as the encoding and decoding, that does sound like a legitamate issue, although I haven't heard about that limitation from anyone at this point. Typically when you encode / decode something there is a couple of second delay which I could see could hinder the typical usage of an Intercom.

The date of release has definitely not been set.

Dan

I also just responded to this on the other forums.

Here's a copy, because I'm too lazy to think it up again. :)

The intercom functionality has not been developed as of yet, I'm just saying that with the known limitations in the mini-touch architecture (audio must be encoded and decoded on the device), that there are some limitations to making it a full-functioned, 'live' intercom system.

That's all I'm saying.

I don't know what the entire breadth of the intercom functionality will be. We will have to see.

RyanE

• 1 year later...

I have a client that requires a video intercom solution that integrates with Control4. Would it be possible to use the Wireless Touch Screen for that, since it has a built-in microphone and speaker?

Archived