C4 Forums | Control4

Custom PC Build

ILoveC4

I want to build a PC to put down in my rack, and be able to view/use on all my TV's throughout the house. I am having a hard time finding a rack mountable computer case. Does anyone know where I can get one? Preferably with a built in power supply.

I'm thinking of doing:

i7 Processor

64GB SSD

8 GB of ram

HD Video Card

I don't need many USB ports or anything, and I'm going to use the Adessa wireless keyboards with mouse pad, scattered throughout the house. Should be a fun project! I just need to find a suitable case...

Perhaps you can describe how the wireless KB & mouse is going to work "throughout the house"? I have never been successful at this.

You need to connect a USB HID compliant HUB to you PC. You then run USB HID over CAT5 extenders from the HUB to every room you want access. You then use an RF, NOT BT, wireless mouse and keyboard. You then insert a RF dongle at every USG extender in the house.

The key to making this work is that you MUST use a HID (Human Interface Device) compliant USB HUB and extenders and RF, NOT Bluetooth, wireless keyboard and mouse.

Perhaps you can describe how the wireless KB & mouse is going to work "throughout the house"? I have never been successful at this.

If you are primarily running XBMC you can use the C4 interface and touch screens. I also use Mobile Mouse on my iPad. It is awesome and works everywhere without any extra wiring.

I built mine using Moneaul 312 It looks great. For keyboard I used Logitech Dinovo Mini and it works OK. At AVS there is a section suggesting HTPC ingredients for different pockets. I also use XBMC but Meedios more customizable. Not integrated to C4 yet. it is just another input to my whole system and I switch with C4 but then the DiNovo takes over. All my movies, music and pictures are located at an external NAS, computer looks for it there and plays using VLC.

J

Supermicro also has some neat motherboards to go in those chassis that have IPMI support. You need no HID of any kind, it has a web based remote console that replaces a kvm solution. I went for one of there "short" depth chassis. Mind you, 1U fans are loud, I also have modified a 2U half depth rackable chassis to be a lot more silent.

You need to connect a USB HID compliant HUB to you PC. You then run USB HID over CAT5 extenders from the HUB to every room you want access. You then use an RF' date=' NOT BT, wireless mouse and keyboard. You then insert a RF dongle at every USG extender in the house.

The key to making this work is that you MUST use a HID (Human Interface Device) compliant USB HUB and extenders and RF, NOT Bluetooth, wireless keyboard and mouse.[/quote']

I use a mac mini with the apple trackpad app for the iphone that allows my iphone or ipad to act as a full keyboard and trackpad over wifi. It works great for controlling my computer without the need to mess with KVM solutions. I have also mapped the mac mini remote to the C4 remote and installed a mac program that allows any program to be controlled via ir.

• 3 weeks later...
I want to build a PC to put down in my rack, and be able to view/use on all my TV's throughout the house. I am having a hard time finding a rack mountable computer case. Does anyone know where I can get one? Preferably with a built in power supply.

I'm thinking of doing:

i7 Processor

64GB SSD

8 GB of ram

HD Video Card

I don't need many USB ports or anything, and I'm going to use the Adessa wireless keyboards with mouse pad, scattered throughout the house. Should be a fun project! I just need to find a suitable case...

Did you get this built yet? What are you using (going to use) for HDMI-to-component or are you blowing-out HDMI all over the house?

I tried HDF3 but it wouldn't work on my PJ or my 780P plasma without going down to a 29Hz refresh. All other 1080P panels were OK on 60Hz. I don't know if Powerstrip would have helped or not. Text doesn't look good on HDF either.

Archived