C4 Forums | Control4

AR.Drone as part of security system

AVHomeInstalls

AR.Drone is a RC quadricopter made by Parrot and controlled by Wifi from Apple iOS iPad, iPhone and touch. It has two hi-def cameras that stream video to the iOS device for control and recon.

I thought how neat this would be for property surveillance, but how to integrate this into C4 security or AV system?

Well, I think i have a plan now thanks to a 3rd party application named 'Flight record' in the app store. It outputs the AR.drone video to iOS devices 'tv out' in real time. Mind the hi-def output from the drone is only 15 fps and Apple component cable is 480p. They also have VGA cable, but resolution isn't documented (that I could find).

How to integrate this into C4?

1. Simply create a video activity, such as TV, AR Drone that would select component or VGA input on the TV where the controlling iPad, iPhone running Flight Record was connected.

2. More complex would be to create a security driver or hook into security that would perform the same task as (1) above.

3. Even more complex and true integration would be a driver that interfaced with the AR.drone via wifi or to the iOS device controlling the drone. Video could be displayed (C4 OS 2.0 supports real time,right?) from the drone and could be controlled from any C4 device with video This would allow complete control!

For more information on AR.Drone see YouTube videos, sold at Brookstone stores? Also look at the screen shots in Apple's App Store under AR.Drone and Flight Record.

Depending on your hardware, there is sometimes a lag in C4 commands. No problem with lighting and other stuff but this may not be desirable for the RC copter, at least not for taking it from one location to another.

Now if it lives outside my house and will follow anyone coming from the street up to the front door, I'll go for it. Anyone see Flash Gordon? :)

I had the same thought!

I've been looking into this and had a good chat with the nice people on the Parrot booth at CES. The way you control the AR.Drone requires connecting to an ad-hoc wifi network hosted by the AR.Drone. There's no way (at the moment) to set the Drone up on a static IP address on a regular infrastructure network, which would be required at the moment to connect Control4 to the Drone.

Geek Minds Think Alike! Thanks to all of you for comments.

As 4feet pointed out the AR.Drone uses Ad-hoc networking and that prohibits C4 communicating directly to the drone, but what about C4 driver to iOS application created using Parrot drone SDK? They are writing apps for joystick controllers, keyboard and even talk of Microsoft Kinect!

As you said it may not be practical due to C4 lag, video encoding delay or frame rates with C4 driver, but even connected as 1. or 2. (listed in original post) it would have a Wow factor. I'll probably do it after getting a Drone and Apple video cable for my iPad.

Archived