C4 Forums | Control4

Sony 5400ES Zone 2 Setup

EagleMoon

I have using the ir driver.

That's encouraging. Here's my specifics. I want to feed the zone 2 output of the 5400 into a component distribution amplifier which then feeds at least two rooms using baluns and Cat5. At least one of those rooms needs to support IR control of a Phillips television. The other does not currently need to control the monitor. I'd like the "Watch" option on the remote for each room to turn on the zone 2, select any of the sources (BD, Satellite) and control the volume in each room through their output of my C4 16 channel amp. Obviously since there's only one zone 2, both rooms will have to be viewing the same source but that's not going to be a problem.

The audio works as I'd like. The video does not -- I have no way to turn on the TV, turn on the zone 2, or select the source for zone 2. But I can select the satellite as an audio source and change channels/volume as expected. If I manually set the zone 2 to the satellite, then I can watch as well as listen.

My dealer hasn't set it up for me yet....I haven't pushed it because for the last year since I was here only part-time and rarely wanted to watch anything outside of the theater. But I've asked a few times and I'm beginning to wonder if a) it was possible, or B) they don't know how.

Sounds like the audio endpoints are set. They just need to add the tvs and bind them to the zone 2 video out of the receiver. Then set the tv as the video endpoint for the room and you're all set.

Hmmm...that sounds simple. I wonder why they haven't done it (other than my lack repeatedly insisting).

Does it work to have the zone 2 controlled from two rooms? For example, in my office I would use my computer monitor and no IR control is possible, so from there I just need to turn on the receiver's zone 2 and set its input (plus set the audio source and 16-ch amp's zone output correctly). That should not turn on the TV in the second room, but from that second room I'd want IR control of its TV to turn it on when "watch" is selected. Longer term I might add a third room if that all would work.

It won't turn on the other tv if you are controlling the office. The tv is in the other room and only when you pick a watch item from there will the ir on command be sent. As long as all the bindings are done correctly it should work based on my past experience with that receiver.

Archived