C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless Hampton Bay ceiling fan controllers

BrettB0727

Hey All,

My house has a bunch of wireless Hampton Bay ceiling fans, infact many of them are missing the remotes. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tie them into Control4? There are no wall switches for these ceiling fans, so I can't just throw in a dimmer and 2 button switch. They use the following remotes1248608391-50542_full.jpg

Sadly, most if not all of these use proprietary RF commands, so there's no clean way to integrate them with Control4.

A 'dirty' way would be to hack into the remote control itself, and wire from the buttons up to relay outputs on the Control4 system, but that's a pretty ugly solution.

RyanE

There's not a way to tie them in that I'm aware of. You could probably pick up replacement remotes at Home Depot, make the dip switches in the remote match the receiver at the fan, and then the new remotes would work.

Alternatively, could probably replace the remotes with wall switches, but you still wouldn't have control over the fan with C4 other than a simple on/off. You'd probably have to rewire the fan- and electrician could help you out with the details.

Sadly, most if not all of these use proprietary RF commands, so there's no clean way to integrate them with Control4.

A 'dirty' way would be to hack into the remote control itself, and wire from the buttons up to relay outputs on the Control4 system, but that's a pretty ugly solution.

RyanE

Hm.... have a few projects around the house to complete but this could get interesting.

smccray, if you get this working, let me know. I made the same suggestion months ago asking if anyone knew how to wire up a contact/relay on a C4 controller to the contacts on a remote for my Minka Aire fans. Didn't get any good responses.

Thanks,

Steve

Interestingly, someone has done this for use with MisterHouse, which is an Open Source (written in Perl) Home Automation system:

http://www.linux.kaybee.org:81/tabs/fancontrol/

They're using relays also on the dip switches, which would let you use a single remote to control *all* your fans.

Not a bad idea.

RyanE

Well thats definitely pretty nifty, if I even move from HC200B to HC300C, I'll have to check it out!

Hey All,

My house has a bunch of wireless Hampton Bay ceiling fans, infact many of them are missing the remotes. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tie them into Control4? There are no wall switches for these ceiling fans, so I can't just throw in a dimmer and 2 button switch. They use the following remoteshttp://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2009/207/6/1248608391-50542_full.jpg

No law-abiding sparky would ever leave a job with coverplate screws not facing N-S (let alone rounded off) :)

Wow I am a noob, it took me forever to figure out what you all have been talking about! Luckily that photo is not from my house!

Btw a Google Images search for "wall outlets" has a quite a diverse selection of images.

http://www.google.com/images?q=wall+outlets

Most that I could see go N-S(though a lot are single screw, which I feel definitely should be N-S, double screw, I think E-W looks just as good)

Archived