C4 Forums | Control4

Best Way to turn off Bathroom Fan with timer?

servpro

What is the best way to program to turn off a bathroom fan 5 minutes after the light has been turned off? I have searched this forum and found a few different methods but some where based off of v1.6 that didn't have the timer agent.

I would like to have it turn off the bathroom fan 5 minutes after the bathroom light has turned off only if the fan has been turned on first (so if the light and fan where turned on and I leave and just turn off the light, I want it to wait 5 minutes before turning off the fan).

Thanks

Create a 5 minute timer called bathroom fan. Then go to the light under programming (2 ways to do this, do you want it to only work when the switch is manually turned off, or even if done remotely?)

If manually, then program the bottom button release of the light to restart the timer. Then program at the expiration of the timer to turn the fan off.

If even done remotely, select when light level changes, then select the same light at the top right. Then select the conditional tab below it and select if light is off. Then select your timer at the top right and indent it underneath your conditional to restart. Then program on timer expiration to turn the fan off.

If you don't want the timer running needlessly when the light turns off and the fan is already off. Then add a second conditional

When bathroom light level changes

?If bathroom light is off

?If bathroom fan is on

->restart bathroom fan timer

What is the best way to program to turn off a bathroom fan 5 minutes after the light has been turned off? I have searched this forum and found a few different methods but some where based off of v1.6 that didn't have the timer agent.

I would like to have it turn off the bathroom fan 5 minutes after the bathroom light has turned off only if the fan has been turned on first (so if the light and fan where turned on and I leave and just turn off the light, I want it to wait 5 minutes before turning off the fan).

Thanks

There are automatic steam sensor products out there in the market that do this by themselves, without integration in a home automation system. They have the advantage of also automatically turning ON the fan if the kids forget, before they hop in the shower... They then continue to run the fan after the shower, until all the steam is taken out of the room.

http://www.vapotec.com.au/ These work flawlessly in my place.

Just get an electrician to wire them in with the fan. Though I'm not sure there is a 110V version. Why not contact them? IMHO, sometimes simple functions like this are better left outside a home automation

setup.. :)

edited note... I refer to "bathroom" as the place you take a bath or shower. It just occurred to me you are probably American and mean "bathroom" being what we would call "toilet". No steam there I guess :D

But aren't there fans in the US with automatic "run" timers in them anyway?... I have one of them in my "toilet" as well....

Typically, people don't mess around too much here- sparkies either put in a motion at the wall switch, timer at the wall switch or use Panasonic fans with built-in motion and time-out timer.

Ok, I got the timer to work except that I tried adding an LED color change when the timer is running so I know its running but now it changes the LED color on the switch permanently. Below is my programming. The first time you run it, it works great. But then when you turn on the fan again the bottom LED light is orange no matter what.

bathroom-lights.jpg

^Exactly. Like I told someone else yesterday, once you move away from PROPERTIES attributes, you must re-assign LED colors from thereout. PROPERTIES does not act like a "default" for LED colors.

I don't know about project reloading though, I think LED colors might follow some lead...

Archived