C4 Forums | Control4

Version 2.0 lighting takes HUGE step backwards

BMAN

I cannot believe how far backwards the C4 lighting has gone in V2.0. Instead of an easy to use slidebar that goes from 0-100% and dims as you use it, we now have a bar graph you have to hold down to enlarge, only in increments of 10%, and it doesn't dim as you go. Also, it is literally impossible to dim from the handheld remote within 30% of where you want to end up. Huge step backwards. Finally, I offered to eat the $400 upgrade and go back to 1.8, but was told once upgraded I'm stuck. Anyone else out there agree with the lighting thing?

I can get around avoiding the TS for lighting, but I MANY times am sitting in my seat and in V1.8 would dim/set the lighting exactly where I want it, real time, right there. I have dozens and dozens of dimmer switches, and use the lighting all the time, every day. Now I have get up out of my chair and go to the wall to dim exactly where I want. It really is ridiculous. In V2.0 you have to hold down the bar graph to get it to "expand" and then with handheld remote try to click and stop before it slides over 20%-40% past where you tried to leave off. V1.8 was perfect for lighting, V2.0 is useless for lighting with handheld remote, and good for on/off only and near useless for precise dimming with 7".

The only message I can give you, at this point, is HA is about making life easier. Think about lighting levels you use for daily and for entertaining and program them in. Hit one button and you are there. I will agree that icon-driven stuff is leading to the dumbing-down of mankind. Don't get mad, get even- automate those tasks man.

2.1 is going to fix your issue with the GUI. Just hang tight, you'll be very happy about the 2.0 version soon.

Dan

Good news! While I don't like the "hold and slide" control, I LOVE that the light go on and off together st the same time. My system runs way better on 2.0. Overall really happy w it. Looking forward to 2.1

^Yep, lighting response in general is much better on 2.0. I have no idea what the issue is with sliders- they work great on a properly calibrated TS. On a SR, it's like Dan siad- just hit the 10X number and go. I understand what OP is wanting but honestly, linear-repsonse (kinda like analog) dimming is not what I'd call a necessity. I've got one light only that seems to look its best at 6% and not at 10% but like I said, that one is controlled off colored buttons on the SR. No need to manually adjust on the fly.

I really appreciate all of your input, thank you. i'm thinking about getting the iPad just so i can use the Control 4 App that still has the better sliders for lighting. I agree HA is all about making life easier, a big part of which is convenience, and it was VERY convenient to be able to sit in a room and adjust lighting on the fly, real time. My home has an extremely open concept and many rooms are open to each other with no walls, leaving me needing many lighting options depending on who's home, what we're doing, etc., and I used to have the ability to adjust right then and there in any room for whatever reason. To me at least, it is NOT convenient to be adjusting on a slider 10% at a time if your lucky (I run my entire C4 HA over fiber, but i can't believe that would slow it down), and it is also inconvneient, or not as convenient I'll say, to have to program in an infininite number of lighting scenes. I do have many, and use them, but the possibilities were limitless under 1.8, not so under 2.0. The other thing i liked under 1.8 was the ability to create lihgting scenes by sitting in a chair and adjusting the light right there, 1% at a time if you want, live, and then write down the percentages to create the scenes. I don't have the 250's, I have (7) 150's, and (2) 7" TC's. 90% less options, less convenience, at least for me, equals a step backwards. I'm not mad, but I am disappointed. Please, tell me more about the 2.1!!

Archived