C4 Forums | Control4

Volume balancing

Sound volume from my Blu-Ray is MUCH lower than with cable box or over the air selected. This was true before Control 4 connection, and with a different DVD player. Current connection is via HDMI; previous via component video and audio cables. Something about DVD boxes?

When switching from cable to dvd the user must then increase the volume by ten or more remote control button presses.

Lord help you if you forget to lower the volume before switching back to cable.

I have Integra A/V amplifier/switch, and Control 4 audio amplifier and switch boxes.

1. Is there a way to permanently balance this so the device levels are the same?

2. Failing #1, can I and how would I program so that when switching to dvd it automatically jacks up the volume, and also automatically lowers it prior to switching from dvd?

If your receiver has discrete volume control via Ethernet or RS232 and your driver is controlling it via Ethernet or RS232 then you can use a "when device xx is selected set volume to xx" if your not using either of those then the best you can do is to do something like when device xx is selected issue a volume down and repeat that as many times as it takes to lower or raise the volume

The Integra AV amplifier has bias settings. Press Setup button, then using L/R U/D dial, select Source, then Intellisense volume. You can bias the volume by +/- 12dB.

I found that by setting CBL to -6dB and DVD to +10dB I got matching volumes.

Thank you, Nolan.

An annoyance still presents itself. The blu-ray player has an "I'm awake" brief tune it plays -- at normal levels -- on startup. So with the jacked up volume for blu-ray player that tune blares out. Once the dvd starts playing, with its muted volume levels, everything is okay. Until ejecting the dvd, when the player plays its little tune again.

I guess my most fundamental question is, why is it that dvd plays produce such a low volume level when playing a dvd? Is there any way to overcome this?

Archived