C4 Forums | Control4

System Advice / Recommendations Needed - NAS, Media Players & Switch?

msu

Hello,

I have spent about 10 - 15 hours over the last few days reading the forums but I have not found a good post that I can understand to do what I need. I apologize if I missed one!

Scenario

I have got quotes from a few dealers in the area and have a wide range of responses as to what works.

Just before I was going to make a decision I found out that what I wanted was not what I was going to get from any of them (frustrating since they are asking $20,000 to $60,000!)

So now I am trying to research things myself so I can spec to them what to include.

These dealers are all behind on technology. Not a single one of them (regular authorized retailer, a platinum and a gold dealer) has heard of the Dune for example and none of them have a single clue how to integrate it - Yes, I'm serious. :|

The layout:

To start I will have 5 or 6 tv locations that are 1080p capable with both HDMI and Component inputs available.

* Will likely add another 4 - 6 locations in the future for a total of 9 - 12 locations.

* Each location will also have a separate whole house audio system (not sure that matters).

* One location will also have a 5.1 in wall sonace surround sound system (again, not sure that affects the scope).

Desired function:

A central media storage location that all 5 - 6 locations can access independently.

I want each of those locations to be able to pull data from that same storage location

Content will be video most of the time but some audio through the TV with any on screen display would be a plus (audio is not a necessity - have the whole house audio system).

All locations to be able to watch totally different things from that source or the exact same things if they want - I want it to be that locations choice independently from any other room in the house.

Content will be mixed video formats. Some regular DVD's (full menus), some Blu-Rays (full menus), some avi, mpg, divx, etc...

I will not be streaming any internet radio or doing any netflix through the players so that is of zero value to me (not a necessity).

I would like them to be fully integrated into Control 4 via IP if possible.

I would like to broadcast over Cat-6 cable and just add baluns (1080p is a plus).

Responses I have Received

One C4 media player and a C4 video matrix switch

One dune media player and a C4 video matrix switch

Multiple media players (any brand - I have to buy) and a Extreame Video Server

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can some of you qualified / more experienced dealers / installers / DIY'ers recommend what I should be telling them to quote?

I'm not sure but I was reading and I'm wondering if the Dune HD Max could function as the NAS and then buy several of the Dune players to access the drive to display their own content?

I placed this in this forum because I am open to any of the third party solutions that are proven to be stable and do what I am asking. If that is a separate NAS and WD Live TV, Dunes, etc.. then I am okay with it.

I know that I will need a HC-1000 in the media room, and HC-200's or 300's at each TV and will be buying them as a part of the system as well.

From a price perspective I am interested in the lowest cost solution that gets me the functions above. I don't see any value in over paying for a prettier box that does the same as a lower cost box for example.

Thank you all in advance for reading this and responding! :)

Dont use the dune as a NAS, get a NAS.

With the great dune drivers today, I would not get the C4 media player at this point until it receives a firmware update - the file support is much better with Dune.

Also, the c4 media player will not play back BD with menus or DVDs with menus.

Just my .02

Do you want to access one file from multiple monitors, with independent playback? In other words, all 5 zones can watch the same movie at once, pause and playback independently of each other?

This is the way I am reading your "desired function."

You can do pretty much everything you want with C4 and a wired NAS. Its just that any zone with 5.1 will require a capable A/V receiver (e.g. Denon XX), you will just have to run the speaker wires to that zone (and the zones that you want to integrate into the future).

Do you want to access one file from multiple monitors, with independent playback? In other words, all 5 zones can watch the same movie at once, pause and playback independently of each other?

This is the way I am reading your "desired function."

You can do pretty much everything you want with C4 and a wired NAS. Its just that any zone with 5.1 will require a capable A/V receiver (e.g. Denon XX), you will just have to run the speaker wires to that zone (and the zones that you want to integrate into the future).

Access any file from the NAS at any of the locations. Each location could watch whatever file they wanted be it the same or different than any of the other rooms. So completely independent selection of files.

From the other advice on the forum I know I will need individual players for each location to allow each room to do their own thing.

From what I know, there is no way to do that with one media player.

Archived