C4 Forums | Control4

Lighting,security and audio

mridixon

I was recently blown away and hooked by a C4 demo at local home expo show. Since I am currently building a house(just about completed) I said that getting this system would be a great extra to have. I just have a few questions that I hope can be answered. 1)Can a alarm system be linked into the c4 unit where you are able to arm and disarm the alarm system from a c4 keypad or from the televison that displays the c4's screen? 2)Everyroom in the new house has a pair of speakers in the ceiling. Could I play different music in the different rooms at the same time if I chose to? If this could be done what equipment would I need? 3)If I have a series of lights that I want to control sometimes independantly, or somtimes as a group how would that be done? I'm guessing with switches and a keypad but I don't understand how that is done. If you switch out your old switches for c4 switches and dimmers where would you put the 3/6 button keypad? Hope all this made sense and I cant wait for the responses. Thank you:)

mridixon,

1) Yes. We have drivers for several 'automation' alarm panels, such as the GE Concord, DSC Power832, HAI Omni Pro/II, and others.

2) Yes. You need an audio switch and audio amplifiers, sources (such as CD juke / tuner), and can stream MP3's from a Control4 controller. The 'real' answer for 'what you need' is beyond the scope of a forum post. I assume your speakers are all wired to a central location, where the amps / line-level switcher would be.

3) Dimmers are controlled independently either in programming or by using their faceplate manually. In programming, you can tell an individual light to go to a level, ramp up / down, etc. As a group, you create lighting 'scenes', that consist of a set of lights, and a set of levels / ramps. You then can trigger scenes from either keypads or touchpanels or from programming.

You can put the 3/6 button keypads in with the dimmers, since they're rated for going into a gang box with high voltage, or you can put a remodel box above the dimmers, at a higher level, and run power down to the j-box that has the dimmers.

All of what you have asked about can be done fairly straightforward with a Control4 system.

RyanE

RyanE

Thanks for the information, it makes it a little bit more understandable! There seems to be so many programming possobilities with c4 hardware, hopefully all will go easy. I'll be asking so more questions, hopefully you can help again. Thanks again!

Archived