C4 Forums | Control4

Monitoring level in a water softener

Neter66

We've just moved into a new place, and have a water softener. First time having to use one, so I'd like to use the C4 system we have to monitor the level of the salt/brine in the holding tank and notify when below a certain level.

The tank is filled with salt pellets and water. I need to monitor the water level. When it drops below a certain level, I need to add more salt to the tank.

Most of the water monitoring systems/contacts etc etc that I have seen are for "normally dry" and the contact sends a signal when it gets wet. I have not, however, found one that works in reverse - it is normally wet, but when it dries out, then send a signal.

The tank is about 10 feet away from the rack that holds my C4 gear, so running a wire to the contact won't be a problem at all.

Anyone have any experience with a product that might help with this?

Thanks

D.

It would be cheaper and easier to just buy a bag of salt every few weeks when you go to the grocery store. ;-) I fill my salt up once every 2 or 3 months.

I do not think the water lever in the brine tank is any indication of how much salt is in the tank. Are you sure this is an accurate means of determining the salt level?

I do not know of a specific solution, but why not just rig a contact switch on an arm with a float on a string. When the water goes down the float goes down, pulls the arm down and the contact connects. Similar to a toilet bowl arm. There is probably even a simpler solution but the brain is fried after today. I can think of some similar set ups with a contact switch and a float though. That is the route I would go and just try some different set ups to see which is most reliable.

The water level itself is irrelevant. There's no much water in there at all when the unit is not cycling the brine to flush the conditioner beads.

You can have a water level that's just fine and have no salt in the unit.

I just set myself a recurring schedule item to check the salt level, and always have a few extra on hand so I don't have to make a special run just to buy salt.

RyanE

Archived