C4 Forums | Control4

Bundled cabling

mwarchut

So my soon to close house doesn't have any structured wiring. I want to change that but not with a lot of hassle. Do any cable manufacturers have bundled cabled that might have 1 or 2 cat 5 or 6 and then some rg cabling for the tv? Or do I still have to make separate runs for each.

There is bundled cabling with two Cat5 and two RG6. I don't know about any with Cat6. But be sure you really need the coax before you install that. I've got a bunch of RG6 running through this house (in the structured cable bundles) that I'll never use (because my Control4 dealer virtually insisted). What I needed was twice as much Cat6 and no RG6.

I ran a cable from Liberty Cable that head 5 cables for component video and stereo l/r audio, plus two cat5e. I cannot imagine pulling that in a retrofit. It's a seriously think bundle of cable, probably an inch or more in diameter. Very heavy, and not super flexible.

If I wee doing it again today I would run one RG6 (which I did), a bunch of CAT cable, and conduit (which I also did).

Just my .02. I realize conduit is tough on a retrofit.

Thanks.. The previous owner obviously didn't care all that much as he ran all of the cable outside the house and then drilled into the house. So there is ugly cable everywhere. Soon to be gone cuz I hate hacks like that. There is a really cool area in the attic that will be nice for putting in a structure panel and then run everything from there. I need to design a drop down ladder for the attic. Think of a normal attic door that is horizontal but this one is in a wall and vertical about 8 feet above the stairs that go to the second level. Should be fun to figure out and build. But once I have easy access there is about 600 square feet of storage up there and all of the current cables and such terminate there. Sadly there is a tv antenna on the roof and cables for it. Not for long.. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks.. The previous owner obviously didn't care all that much as he ran all of the cable outside the house and then drilled into the house. So there is ugly cable everywhere. Soon to be gone cuz I hate hacks like that. There is a really cool area in the attic that will be nice for putting in a structure panel and then run everything from there. I need to design a drop down ladder for the attic. Think of a normal attic door that is horizontal but this one is in a wall and vertical about 8 feet above the stairs that go to the second level. Should be fun to figure out and build. But once I have easy access there is about 600 square feet of storage up there and all of the current cables and such terminate there. Sadly there is a tv antenna on the roof and cables for it. Not for long.. LOL.

I have a lot of neighbors with coax running all outside their houses, looks bad. First thing I did with my place is install new wiring (phone/coax/cat5), rewire the little I had (phone/cable), start home running all the cables and bury it in the walls, unfortunately I didn't install conduit in a couple of places, didn't want to tear up all the walls at once. I'm fixing that now with Homepath's products.

It surprises me that there were only three phone jacks and two cable jacks in the whole 80's place.

Archived