C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Thermostats

csmpez

I recently had two T-stats installed in my house. The thermostats are not functioning as well as expected. I'll take you through some of the issues I'm having.

Family Room:

The thermostat while engaging the HVAC system and in AUTO fan setting does not display the fan icon in the upper right corner.

Master Bedroom:

The thermostat is engaging the upstairs HVAC system when the room temperature is actually above or at the Set Temperature Point and

the HOLD setting is set on "permanent". I checked the user's guide and made sure none of the programmed schedules are enabled, so that

shouldn't be affecting this. The thermostat should only be engaging the HVAC system to maintain the set temperature point and not run

when the actual room temperature is above the set temperature point.

Another problem that recently came up with both the Family Room and Master Bedroom thermostats is they now have a +/- 3 degree offset from the Heat Set Temperature Point. For instance, if I have the heat set at 68 degrees, it will not come on until it gets 65 degrees in the room (-3 degrees from Heat Set Temperature Point). On the flip side of this, when the heat comes on, it will not shut off until it is 71 degrees in the room (+3 degrees from Heat Set Temperature Point). WTF are these things doing? If I have the thermostat set at 68 degrees, that's what I want the room to be... not 65, 71 and everywhere in between.

Our primary goal with the Control4 thermostats is to maximize comfort and save on energy costs. These things are not doing either.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

Dunno about the rest of it - but the offset thing is something your dealer can change for you. Seems strange that it's at 3 degrees - as I think it ships standard as 1 degree offset... but again - your dealer can change that in the programming (and you might as well, if you have purchased Composer HE).

How long has the Tstats been installed?

How are they powered? Where they installed by you or a dealer?

It kind of sounds like the stats have some kind of program in them? But I dont think they should besides what is program in your system. When installed they should update them selfs. May take about 10 or 15 mins after install for 2 units to update.

• 4 months later...

Just had C4 thermostats installed - now taking them out after 4 weeks. Set to 78 for AC to come on and nothing happens - adjust to allow for the fact that they are not very accurate and the damn AC is on 24/7. I have penguins in the basement complaining about the cold. Another non-working product from C4.

FYI - the thermostats are VERY accurate... your installer may not have configured them correctly, or forgot to calibrate it. We use a simple Radio Shack temp. calibrator... I think it cost like $50... and it tells us immediately what the temperature is - and we can make adjustments to the thermostat. So when I leave a house... I'm 100% certain if it says it's 75 degrees... it's 75 degrees. Same with the undershoot / overshoot settings (as I mentioned above). At $250 for one of these guys... trust me when I tell you it's an advanced piece of hardware... it's not your simple $50 thermostat that you buy at Home Depot and install yourself. It does require programming / calibration and it does 10x more than any Home Depot model will do! :)

Slemay - thanks. The new very well trained installers are coming next week to try and fix other issues and I'll get them to do as you suggest. I hope it fixes the problem - at the moment the C4 thermostat will show the temp at 76 and the program shows AC to go on at 78 and the AC system is still on?????????? That's my problem.

Slemay - thanks. The new very well trained installers are coming next week to try and fix other issues and I'll get them to do as you suggest. I hope it fixes the problem - at the moment the C4 thermostat will show the temp at 76 and the program shows AC to go on at 78 and the AC system is still on?????????? That's my problem.

That maybe by design (but fixable). In the programing for the thermostat there is a cool overshoot. On my system I have it set to 2 degrees. That will cause the system set to 77 to keep running until the temp is 75. The system will then not come on again until the temp goes over 77. This is desirable so that the air conditioning runs longer and less frequently which is better for the compressors. You may have have a larger cool overshoot set then 2.

A problem with the 1.3.1 release (not sure if it is fixed in 1.3.2, waiting on my installer) is that the heating overshoot was used for cool mode. With heating overshoot set at 2 the cool would not kick in until the temp got to 79. This required having my installer change the settings based on season. I hope that is fixed in the current release so that I need less help from the installer.

Archived