C4 Forums | Control4

Recommend me a 27" TV?

arboleda

My ideal criteria:

- A Control4 driver exists for it

- Size would be 27" give or take a few inches

- Can do 1080P

- Has two component inputs, one of them can take at least 720P and the other can take a 1080P signal

- Controlled by IR or serial. Serial would be icing on the cake but I'll take IR as long as its got discrete codes for inputs and power.

- No audio would run through the TV, so I don't care about the quality of the speakers or if it even has any

- Good horizontal/vertical viewing angles

I don't know if it's relevant but I'd be hooking this up to a Zektor Prowler (hence one of the component inputs) and a local controller (hence the other component).

IF you know of something that meets all the above criteria but only has one component input (needs to do 1080P) that may still be helpful.

PS - I did create a somewhat similar thread a few weeks back but I was requesting IP controllability, and I think that was asking for too much. Plus, I've got some additional specifics here that I didn't put in that thread.

IF you know of something that meets all the above criteria but only has one component input (needs to do 1080P) that may still be helpful.

1080P on a 27" TV? Why even bother? You are never going to be able to tell the difference between 720P and 1080P on a 27" TV.

Did some searching tonight and very few manufacturers even *make* 1080P 27" TVs. So it's not even much of an option.

I think you will discover that finding TVs with two component inputs will be a challenge too.

Another option is to use a component to HDMI converter for the C4 controller. Hopefully C4 will have a controller with HDMI output soon.

Did some searching tonight and very few manufacturers even *make* 1080P 27" TVs. So it's not even much of an option.

I think you will discover that finding TVs with two component inputs will be a challenge too.

Another option is to use a component to HDMI converter for the C4 controller. Hopefully C4 will have a controller with HDMI output soon.

Just use a splitter in the reverse fashion. Run both sources into the same input.

1080P on a 27" TV? Why even bother? You are never going to be able to tell the difference between 720P and 1080P on a 27" TV.

I think It depends on the distance of viewing and what application you use it for

let say you use the 27" as a computer monitor screen, then definitely you'll see the difference.

and if you just use it for watching TV then there's no need of 1080P.

I have several LG's in various sizes that have multiple component inputs. I'm pleased with them. Work well in my C4 system.

I would never suggest an LG for any reason. Just my .02

If you have a remote, you can create a driver. I think Sharp are still using 2 component inputs. Samsung is down to one on most if not all tvs. Sony I think is still using two as well but im not sure at that small of a size.

My only concern about the "if you have a remote, you can create a driver" is that with my luck, I'll find buy something without discrete on/off/inputs :)

Thats usually not the biggest deal. Use the original remote and see the different ways you can work through the input switching. When you find one that works consistently no matter what the situation, then build a macro for it.

I have several LG's in various sizes that have multiple component inputs. I'm pleased with them. Work well in my C4 system.

+1 I'm very pleased with my LG. Control is flawless with the serial driver I'm using. If I wanted to use IR control, there's an IR input on the back.

You don't know what you're talking about. Just my .02

+1 I'm very pleased with my LG. Control is flawless with the serial driver I'm using. If I wanted to use IR control' date=' there's an IR input on the back.

You don't know what you're talking about. Just my .02

LG doesn't make quality TVs. That is what i'm talking about.:cool:

just to add, the LG I have has discrete input codes as well. If component inputs are an issue, you can buy a 4x1 component switch from monoprice.com for around 20 bucks, it's solid in terms of reliability, although the construction is fairly cheap, and I have an IR driver for it if you need.

Its based off of seeing all types of different tvs all the the time and knowing what type of tvs I replace all the time with better ones. LG is more than common. Its also a complete opinion like I said before. Just my .02. Im sure ifs fine as fast as C4 capability. I have a $20 tv that works great too.

Archived