C4 Forums | Control4

Monoprice Video matrix Switch

rydbeckc

The one I posted is the working one. (march 4' date=' 2011) I modified the previous one as it was missing some commands. It works very well.[/quote']

Joemci,

Have you used the Monoprice matrix? If so, what are your thoughts on it's functionality/performance/reliability compared to some of the more expensive units (ie $1000-$2000)?

Would the drivers work this unit as well? The unit below has the use of Cat5 which would be nice for runs in a finished house....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=8151&seq=1&format=2

I am very curios about this too, anyone tried it?

• 2 weeks later...

If a person were to want to add an additional HDMI output, is it possible to take of the output signals and run through and HDMI splitter to get an additional output? My dealer says it is not possible and that due to copy protection, the matrixed output HDMI signal cannot be split after the matrix. My thought was to use the 4x4 matrix and make it into a 4x4+1 so to speak by just using an additional HDMI splitter off one of the outputs to gain an additional TV hookup even if the #4 and #5 are duplicated.

Is this possible?

drmark - go ahead and try it out. Worst case, you lose a couple hundred dollars, or not even if you manage to sell it on eBay later. I've been using the monoprice matrix for over a year now and it is working flawlessly. I can't compare it to anything else because I have never had another matrix.

the daisy chaining is probably difficult, however. but if you get the programming right, it should work. I haven't had the need to do this yet. I'm happy with 4 zones, although you may need more.

Well I finally hooked up the Monoprice 4x4 matrix last night (without Control4 as I'm waiting for my dealer).... looks like using my PS3 I do not have audio using a 50 or 75 foot run of HDMI. I do get picture however. With a 25 foot HDMI run I have both picture and sound. Using my Netgear 9150 media player I get both picture and sound over 25,50, and 75 feet..... (the cables are fine as I ran them straight out of the PS3 to the rooms and had both video and audio so it's something with the matrix box itself)

Do you think an HDMI booster/enhancer/amplifier would help this?

Well I finally hooked up the Monoprice 4x4 matrix last night (without Control4 as I'm waiting for my dealer).... looks like using my PS3 I do not have audio using a 50 or 75 foot run of HDMI. I do get picture however. With a 25 foot HDMI run I have both picture and sound. Using my Netgear 9150 media player I get both picture and sound over 25,50, and 75 feet..... (the cables are fine as I ran them straight out of the PS3 to the rooms and had both video and audio so it's something with the matrix box itself)

Do you think an HDMI booster/enhancer/amplifier would help this?

You've got 3 options IMHO

1. Try the booster

2. Buy an inexpensive 2 wire cat5e/6 hdmi transmitter (this will require 2 cat5e/6 runs)

3. Buy an expensive 1 wire cat5e/6 hdbaset extender (this will require 1 cat5e/6 runs)

You could also decrease your ps3 resolution and see if that helps (kinda defeats the point imho)

good luck

• 3 months later...

So I'm continuing the have trouble with my Monoprice 4x4 HDMI matrix with only my PS3 and sound....

Currently I have 2 Directv boxes running through it no problem. However, I seem to get my PS3 with Netflix running fine then after a few days I watch and the audio is on and off basically toggling at about 5 second intervals. It seems like I will disconnect, power off, power on, reconnect and getting going for a few days.

I thought I had it working just fine previously but now this obviously isn't the case with the PS3 being the jerk of the bunch. The Directv boxes work perfectly. I have a Dune hooked up and using the Bluray function worked just fine (dealer hasn't installed driver for Control4 yet to try access network drive).

Any suggestions/ideas other than buying a $3000 matrix?

The audio toggling happens in my theater as well. I havent' been able to figure out why this is happening but I am going to rule out the Monoprice HDMI matrix in my case for now. I have a Yamaha receiver hooked up to a Mitsubishi DLP TV in my theater via the matrix switch.

I have to confirm this with more testing but I noticed that if I turn on the receiver before the TV (the TV isn't hooked up to C4 yet), the audio (and video) toggling is more likely to occur. I also noticed that my receiver is actually the source of the toggling and the input setting on it (if I remember correctly) is constantly being changed.

I'll post additional findings here soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 9/5/2011 at 4:23 PM, drmark12pa said:

This matrix is only $156 which seems like a great deal! Does anyone have an opinion as to the benefit of spending $1000+ for other 4x4 matrix switches vs this one if they can both be controlled by Control4 with the RS232? Doesn't seem to make sense to spend 10x more for the exact same functionality....

Did you ever accomplish RS-232 control? Does this eliminate the beeping noise caused by manual and IR input? And did you by chance use the 3.5-DB-9 cable, because  it only uses three pins, I hope that’s sufficient. I have the EA-3 and have no DB-9 connection available.

i realize this is a “necro-post”, but isn’t that the point of forums like this. 

Thank you for anyone who has any experience. 

Matrix link below.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15378

12 hours ago, BuffaloC4 said:

Did you ever accomplish RS-232 control? Does this eliminate the beeping noise caused by manual and IR input? And did you by chance use the 3.5-DB-9 cable, because  it only uses three pins, I hope that’s sufficient. I have the EA-3 and have no DB-9 connection available.

i realize this is a “necro-post”, but isn’t that the point of forums like this. 

Thank you for anyone who has any experience. 

Matrix link below.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15378

I actually ditched the Monoprice a copule of years ago as I needed more outputs and it was a bit finicky at times and losing signal.  But I did have it controlled by RS232 when I had it.  I couldn't tell you much more about it as my dealer had installed it.

On 9/5/2011 at 4:23 PM, drmark12pa said:

This matrix is only $156 which seems like a great deal! Does anyone have an opinion as to the benefit of spending $1000+ for other 4x4 matrix switches vs this one if they can both be controlled by Control4 with the RS232? Doesn't seem to make sense to spend 10x more for the exact same functionality....

I got j tech to send me a c4 driver! Yes! Rs232 

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2019 at 3:58 PM, BuffaloC4 said:

I got j tech to send me a c4 driver! Yes! Rs232 

Hello ... how did you get the Monoprice Matrix to work ... Currently I also have a Monoprice 8x8 matrix (Blackbird 4K 8x8 HDMI Matrix Switch with HDMI 2.0, Supports HDR, 18Gbps, 4K @ 60Hz YCbCr 4: 4: 4, 8 S / PDIF Outputs, HDCP 2.2, EDID, IR, RS-232, TCP / IP Web based GUI) and I can't get a driver be it IP or RS232, so kindly can you tell me how you control this matrix and which controller did Jtech send you? ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 12:46 AM, Esteban Delgado said:

Hello ... how did you get the Monoprice Matrix to work ... Currently I also have a Monoprice 8x8 matrix (Blackbird 4K 8x8 HDMI Matrix Switch with HDMI 2.0, Supports HDR, 18Gbps, 4K @ 60Hz YCbCr 4: 4: 4, 8 S / PDIF Outputs, HDCP 2.2, EDID, IR, RS-232, TCP / IP Web based GUI) and I can't get a driver be it IP or RS232, so kindly can you tell me how you control this matrix and which controller did Jtech send you? ?

Following this too I have a 4x4 monoprice blackbird hdmi matrix and extender so each zone can go out over hdmi and cat6. Similar IP and RS232 controls. Hope someone can write a driver for it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.