C4 Forums | Control4

Recommend NAS Box for Control 4

ktraynham

I am looking for a NAS box to hold music for my Control4 whole-house music system. The old WD network drive that I used for on-line backup could not be seen by Control4, so I want to be sure I get a NAS box that will work with my C4 system. I would welcome any recommendations or experiences, positive or negative. I am considering investing in a mid-price RAID-enabled NAS box to use for on-line backup as well as a C4 music source, so I would also welcome any suggestions along those lines.

Thanks,

Ken Traynham

I have HP Microserver with WHS 2011. Packed it up with (3) 2Tb drives. Upgraded RAM and couldn't be happier. Run SERVIO, MyMovies, and assorted other progs. Once setup - it's nearly silent and has decently low power consumption. I store all my movies, music, and pictures. Stays up 100% for the last year without a single issue. Was able to stream DVD to PS3 (tricky), Apple TV (XBMC), and XBOX360 all at once with no hickups or lag. Love it!

I have HP Microserver with WHS 2011. Packed it up with (3) 2Tb drives. Upgraded RAM and couldn't be happier. Run SERVIO, MyMovies, and assorted other progs. Once setup - it's nearly silent and has decently low power consumption. I store all my movies, music, and pictures. Stays up 100% for the last year without a single issue. Was able to stream DVD to PS3 (tricky), Apple TV (XBMC), and XBOX360 all at once with no hickups or lag. Love it!

I am very interested in your post. I have also setup a Microserver with WHS 2011 and Mymovies. What other software are you running?

Regards

Although I'm typically not an Acer guy I've been really happy with my H340 running WHS 2003 and have had it for close to 2 years now I believe. Integrates with C4 with no problem. Streams audio fine, SD and HD video to XBMC on an HTPC (wired), a laptop (wireless) and an Apple TV (wireless - HD is a bit of a stretch). I can stream audio and video remotely using Streamtome and Air Video. It's definitely more of a budget type server but I have no complaints and couldn't he happier. The have a couple newer models out as well.

For anyone looking for a NAS setup like mine this is a pretty awesome deal. Newegg is offering a big discount this weekend on just that model. You could save $100 on the HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L – $249.99, rather than the usual $349.99. Bonus is in the OS - check the small print, and you’ll see that a copy of Windows Home Server 2011 is being thrown in for free. Looks like it ends tomorrow!

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/11/26/save-100-hp-proliant-microserver-free-windows-home-server-2011-ends-tomorrow/?utm_source=WGS+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=00002907c7-WGS_Monthly_Mailer7_4_2011&utm_medium=email

For anyone looking for a NAS setup like mine this is a pretty awesome deal. Newegg is offering a big discount this weekend on just that model. You could save $100 on the HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L – $249.99, rather than the usual $349.99. Bonus is in the OS - check the small print, and you’ll see that a copy of Windows Home Server 2011 is being thrown in for free. Looks like it ends tomorrow!

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/11/26/save-100-hp-proliant-microserver-free-windows-home-server-2011-ends-tomorrow/?utm_source=WGS+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=00002907c7-WGS_Monthly_Mailer7_4_2011&utm_medium=email

Sold out.....

Thanks to all posters. I feel much more confident in making a purchase now. I do have one more question. My dealer says all that is necessary for Control 4 to play the music is for me to install the NAS, copy the music files to the NAS, and give him the IP address so he can set up the controller (HC-300B) remotely, thus avoiding the fee for a service call. Is there more than that to be concerned about? Thanks!

I have lots of movies from iTunes for my iPad and mac while traveling with the kids. Would love to be able to hook my iPad up to something in my control4 system to play on my projector. I tried the USB on my DVD player but it said it did not recognize the source. Or would love a NAS solution I could move my iTunes vedios to to play from the watch button on control4. Is either solution possible w movies purchased from apple?

Thanks

Dave

FYI, I hope to get them on the website asap but we've started shipping our NAS lineup. Shipped 4 so far and 2 receipients are on this forum frequently so should have some feedback soon (one hasn't gotten his yet). Comes preconfigured with various C4 accounts. However, due to hard drive pricing, there won't be any more for a little while (at least at the normal price). The operating system is pimp. I could have bought a car for what I paid for its development.

My ReadyNAS has been great. Not one second of downtime other than a reboot after a firmware upgrade.

Yes, I've used the ReadyNAS products back when it was infrant. Solid equipment. I think Netgear has done well with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived