C4 Forums | Control4

How do I get ir control of WMC

matt4gps

Does anyone have any idea how to add an IR receiver to an HTPC? I can control the xbox just fine with a ir bud taped to the connect button on the front and I assume this same driver will operate a Win7 Window Media Center. I'm stuck on this design aspect of my HTPC build. I got the c4 driver for WMC/xbox from the file library on this site.

There's not that many out there. Especially Win7 compatible. This is what I ordered from Tigerdirect:

Raygo R12-40895 IrDA Wireless Adapter - USB to IrDA, 3.3ft Range, 4Mbps

We'll see if it works. I ordered all the components for my HTPC build today, so it'll be at least a week.

Does anyone know if there is a free IP driver for Windows Media Center?

There's not that many out there. Especially Win7 compatible. This is what I ordered from Tigerdirect:

Raygo R12-40895 IrDA Wireless Adapter - USB to IrDA, 3.3ft Range, 4Mbps

We'll see if it works. I ordered all the components for my HTPC build today, so it'll be at least a week.

Does anyone know if there is a free IP driver for Windows Media Center?

My dealer installed a simple IR driver. It works, but I was expecting more. Diamond Design has something in the works, maybe he will chime in on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I built my Win7 HTPC over the weekend, but still need to get over some Ceton cable card adapter hurdles. So far the Raygo irDA adapter hasn't worked. I'm hoping that when I finish the cable card install and get the Ceton card working that WMC set up will lead me to the next step of setting up ir. So, tonite I will:

Update my Z68 motherboard chipset

Download the Digital Cable Advisor (which didn't show up like it should of) in order to finish the setup of my Ceton Card

Try changing the properties of my ir receiver in device properties.

It's going to suck if I have to buy a WMC remote for my HTCP and each of my Xbox's (used as WMC extenders). Kind of defeats the purpose of C4.

I had irDA in one of my HTPC's years ago and it never did work worth a crap. IrDA is your problem. You're better off buying a media center remote with the USB receiver.

It's going to suck if I have to buy a WMC remote for my HTCP and each of my Xbox's (used as WMC extenders). Kind of defeats the purpose of C4.

Do they have IR receivers? If so then C4 should be able to control them.

^ Wow, your right. After doing a bit of research, an ir remote is different from irda. the irda operates at 4 mb/s where a remote only operates at a baud rate of 2400k. None the less I'll see if I can adjust the properties to emulate a ir remote. (It was ten bucks what the heck). Does anyone have any WMC remote suggestions/ links? I don't want to spend 80 bucks on a remote that I'm only going to use the dongle with.

You could always use the IR remote for about a month and see if some other solution pops up.

I get the hint ;)

I ordered a Roswill certified Win7 WMC remote.

So far I'm loving WMC. I'm following the assassinhtpcblog.com guide to souping up WMC.

We are an ExtraVegetables dealer and we love the WMC IP based driver, it works well and very reliable - contact me if you are interested in getting more information.

The IP driver works also on the XBOX360 MCE.

The IP driver is actually more reliable than IR and if configured correctly allows for 2 way feedback of music and stored videos/movies.

This is the driver we used from the File Library (search 'xbox'). We added xbox and it works fine from xbox, but does the same driver allow one to add a WMC device? I cant tell from ComposerHE.

dvd_Microsoft_XBox 360 _...c4i

• 3 weeks later...

When I enter a channel number quickly I get double number entries. For example, if I want channel 1011, I get 11001111. If I enter the numbers slowly with a pause in between each number, the channel enters correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

When I enter a channel number quickly I get double number entries. For example, if I want channel 1011, I get 11001111. If I enter the numbers slowly with a pause in between each number, the channel enters correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Play with repeat counts and time between commands.

You could always use the IR remote for about a month and see if some other solution pops up.

If in about a month another solution pops up, well, what would you think this would entail.

Hypothetically speaking of course. :)

Archived