C4 Forums | Control4

Driver News: SMTP email driver

Recluse%20AV%20black%20logo.png

Recluse AV – SMTP Email Driver

The Recluse AV SMTP driver for Control4 is designed to replace the default subscription based email service with an enhanced non subscription based service.

Features

* Use your own SMTP service.

* Supports SSL

* Supports SMTP Authentication

* Definable Sender name

* Definable Recipient name

* Definable Subject field

* Allows for HTML tags in email body

* Allows for variables to be inserted into the email.

* Tested on Gmail, Microsoft Exchange and the Optusnet email server

* NEW ability to attach files such as camera snapshots! Tested on Axis & Panasonic IP cameras and Wirepath DVR's.

* NEW ability to download attachments from HTTP Basic Auth secured web servers.

DRIVER SPECIFIC FAQ

Can you give us some examples of how we could use this driver?

At Recluse we utilise this driver to email out notifications from a dedicated recluseav.com.au email address to notify us on who armed and disarmed our security system (by using variables in conjunction with our M1 driver).

We also utilise format the email to look professional. This includes our logo in the signature using HTML.

As you provide your own email service you can utilise this for customer support. You will be able to receive replies from customers on these email notifications.

Are there any other cool things we can do with this driver?

Recluse AV plans to release a POP3 email driver. This driver will be designed to work with the SMTP driver to allow for automatic email communication to/from Control4. Imagine being able to email Control4 to turn a light on and having Control4 email you back notifying you that it has! This is currently in developmental stage so please stay tuned.

We have recently added the ability to attach files to the emails. This mean that you can now attach snapshots or movies from any web based camera or attach other files such as PDF or word based troubleshooting docs.

Will this driver cost us money annually?

There is only a once off charge for this driver licence for each project. See the question on changing master controllers below for more information.

This one just sends email. The receive one is still in development but i thought i might smash this one out first. The 4sight one has always annoyed me because i could never reply to the email and it never looked pretty. I like pretty:)

This one just sends email. The receive one is still in development but i thought i might smash this one out first. The 4sight one has always annoyed me because i could never reply to the email and it never looked pretty. I like pretty:)

You've got a good point. Being able to reply to the email and having your other driver pick that up is really slick.

In the future, when the other one is finished, will they become one or will they be two separate drivers?

Sounds good. I agree that the 4sight e-mails have horrible formatting.

If you are going to merge the receiving e-mail driver with this one I'll probably wait until it is all ready before I have my dealer download and install it for me.

No plans on merging the drivers. In order to keep functionality separate and prices down for those that need one or the other I will keep them as two different drivers. They are designed to interact with each other though.

For example you will be able to auto reply to any email that comes through to the pop3 driver when it is done.

The smtp driver is available for immediate purchase. Pop3 at this stage has no set date for release. Really depends on my workload (driver development is secondary to other work). Will keep you guys informed though on progress.

No plans on merging the drivers. In order to keep functionality separate and prices down for those that need one or the other I will keep them as two different drivers. They are designed to interact with each other though.

For example you will be able to auto reply to any email that comes through to the pop3 driver when it is done.

The smtp driver is available for immediate purchase. Pop3 at this stage has no set date for release. Really depends on my workload (driver development is secondary to other work). Will keep you guys informed though on progress.

Alan any estimates on the updated email driver that triggers programming functions?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

It does. My house reads my emails out aloud. As I said all my drivers link in with each other in some way or another whether it be a popup in xbmc, TTS, replying to emails sent to you, etc.

Hell of a lot better than 4Store apps...

And he/his company keeps all the $$$!

The thing is, is that a majority of C4 users do not know about or use this forum. So they really have no idea that these things are out there!

Even if a dealer mentions one of these drivers to a user, they would not really know how it could be used without reading how others use it.

Great work Alan!

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Added the ability to attach web based files to the driver. What does this mean? You can now attach snapshots from any IP camera in an email if someone presses the doorbell or if the security system goes into alarm mode with PIR's going off. Existing customers who have the older driver do not need to pay extra for this feature. Just need to get their dealer to replace the driver. Tested with Axis IP cameras and various PDF's, JPG's, BMP's and other files across the net and local network.

In case programming benfit isn't obvious,

Front porch cam, install a motion detector from Axxess, Card Access, etc., program if motion detected email pic of person at front door. Aside from security benefit, instant UPS/Fed Ex deliveries. Great work.

Any update on your email driver that allows C4 to respond to an email sent to the system?

Not yet. Still got to do some work on it. Its on my to do list but other projects have higher priority at this stage.

Nice Alan. Will the new door station be able to do this? Or has to be an IP cam?

I actually haven't played with the new door station yet so i can't answer this question. The driver can attach any webserver based file so if the image were accessible by its internal web server then yes. However i am highly doubtful.

In case programming benfit isn't obvious,

Front porch cam, install a motion detector from Axxess, Card Access, etc., program if motion detected email pic of person at front door. Aside from security benefit, instant UPS/Fed Ex deliveries. Great work.

Thanks james. Idea came to me a few days ago when i was working on another driver. Was a pain in the arse to implement as i had to essentially create functions that allowed for dynamic HTTP server connectivity and file downloading but now that its done its useful towards other drivers.

Having said that though i'm sure that every country / state has different privacy issues so before implementation of this driver please be sure to look up the laws in your local to ensure you adhere to privacy laws.

Archived