C4 Forums | Control4

Driver News: Recluse AV – Plex Media Player Driver

Recluse%20AV%20black%20logo.png

Recluse AV – Plex Media Player Driver

Due to overwelming demand at the Control4 International Dealer conference we are proud to announce that we have developed a Plex driver.

The Recluse AV Plex Control4 Driver provides IP control over the Plex media player. This driver utilises Control4's media database for cataloging and selection of movies and includes wake on lan functionality.

Features

* IP based communications

* Transport controls

* They driver can display movies including coverart on Control4's Navigator user interface (available on the controller, touchscreens, remotes, iPad, iPhone, Android, PC and MAC hardware).

* Audio End-Point assignment for volume up/down/mute functionality

* Video End-Point assignment for those wanting control over their PC's

* Assignable buttons for non intuitive buttons

* Wake on lan functionality

* Tested with Plex clients (Windows, MAC)

* Tested with Plex servers (Windows, MAC, Ubuntu Linux)

DRIVER SPECIFIC FAQ

Can you give us some examples of how we could use this driver?

There are not many media players that have a nice user interface that is compatible with a big range of codecs / containers. Plex is one of the more popular media players out there. In conjunction with Composer Media Edition your customer can manage their whole movie library.

Is there anything i need to look out for when i setup this driver?

Due to issues with the Plex API we cannot play SMB files directly on Mac OSX. As such we have to mount the SMB share onto the OSX client and type in the mount address within the driver. This is a once off setup step within the system. Note you will not be able to add more then 1 share per driver so please make sure all your movies are stored in the same share.

Will this driver cost us money annually?

There is only a once off charge for this driver licence for each project. See the question on changing master controllers below for more information.

Sweet. Thanks James. I have had so many requests for a Plex driver that i couldn't ignore it anymore. Especially at the C4 Aus dealer conference. They just ganged up on me and demanded it :P

We have set a RRP of $100 for this driver. Note that your dealer will charge installation charges on top of this. Your dealer can signup, down the driver and purchase licences via our website. As I am not really a plex user myself I highly recommend that if you are building a plex machine that you visit the plexapp website for information on the capabilities of the software itself.

Hey Alan,

I have the PLEX application running on my Netgear ReadY NAS, therefore I do not need a pc or mac running. My question: is the Ready NAS IP address used as the "Server" ip address in the driver instead pc/mac ip address?

Thanks

Yes that is correct. Having said that though one of my beta testers had issues with his ready Nas. Not sure if it was due to corrupt firmware or if the readynas binary is different from the other servers. He got around it by installing a second server that did not have a library in it.

Can you guys help me figure this out. I'm a little bit confused with the discussion due to the ReadyNas comments. Is this a driver for the Plex client or the server? If it's the server don't you need a media player if its running on a NAS? If it is both does the Plex server populate C4's media library? Also, does the Plex client show media located on a Sony BDP-CX7000ES and control it or is the integration just on C4's screen like normal? I'd love to see all of my media with a nicer interface than what C4 offers users. As far as I can tell C4 is the only device that integrated the Bluray and NAS media at the same time. The MyMovies solution won't work for me without a HTPC in my rack.... sorry for so many questions :)

This driver uses plex server to control plex clients. Think of it as a driver similar to a dune or a netgear eva8000 where control4 catalogs the movies and controls the unit. Hope this helps.

* They driver can display movies including coverart on Control4's Navigator user interface (available on the controller, touchscreens, remotes, iPad, iPhone, Android, PC and MAC hardware).

Does this driver update all meta data and cover art of control 4 media manager from the Plex database? When you playback from the Control4 interface if you have more than one end point does it pick the one not in use?

This driver uses plex server to control plex clients. Think of it as a driver similar to a dune or a netgear eva8000 where control4 catalogs the movies and controls the unit. Hope this helps.

so no?

Does this driver update all meta data and cover art of control 4 media manager from the Plex database?

because if its like the dune or netgear then control4 is looking up the meta data.

We currently have no intention of adding this feature in. If we do then we will most likely create a new driver and utilise the ipod proxy like the EV sonos driver. If that is the case then we will have two seperate drivers (lite and full) and price them accordingly. As this was a relatively easy driver to create we have set a lower price point for this driver.

We currently have no intention of adding this feature in. If we do then we will most likely create a new driver and utilise the ipod proxy like the EV sonos driver. If that is the case then we will have two seperate drivers (lite and full) and price them accordingly. As this was a relatively easy driver to create we have set a lower price point for this driver.

Thanks for the response. Control4 Media Manager is so horrible would be great to have the meta data from XBMC or Plex go into C4.

• 1 year later...

Archived