C4 Forums | Control4

1.7 - out this week???

C4Newbie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a stable system with 1.6 on it. Is there any reason for me to upgrade to 1.7? I won't be adding anything until the 7" wireless remote comes out next year. Just hate going through the hassle of taking time off and paying for the upgrade if I am not really going to see any change.

I don't see any reason for you to update if you aren't adding new equipment that requires 1.7.

Both the Control4 Dock for iPod and the 7" wireless aren't going to be released in 1.7.0, they'll be in a soon-to-follow 1.7.1 release.

Unless you're planning on getting the iPhone / iTouch application which requires 1.7.0, I think you're probably good.

RyanE

.512 is a better build, fixed somethings that people were complaining about the first 1.6.486. I cant tell you excactly what they were tho. And I cant wait till 1.7 for the EVA8000 netgear piece. Now in 1.7 you can see all your DVDs that have been ripped onto a NAS just like the 777's.

Ryan, you take all of the excitement out of our toys... Even Verizon let's us get excited about the Storm coming out tomorrow. Com'on, you can tell us.

I know!! I cant decide if I should spend the money on an I-Touch/Phone or wait and see if they make a C4 interface for the BB Storm. I find BB to be a better business tool.

It will be released when it is released.

RyanE

Good old C4, tight lipped as always. :D

It will be released when it is released.

RyanE

Good old C4' date=' tight lipped as always. :D[/quote']

I've been running 1.7.0 at home for a couple of months now, what's your problem?

:)

RyanE

Oh that was bad :D

What is the 'light polling' issue?

I think this refers to the fact that 1.6 introduced a different way of communicating amongst the lights. Where in prior versions there was more or less constant zigbee traffic about the state of each light, in 1.6 the Zigbee devices are only "polled" once every ten seconds, and they proactively send their status when they are changed.

The problem this introduces is that a lot of people's programming (mine included) relied on the Controller knowing the latest state of a device when a button is pressed. Those generally behave improperly now.

for example, I have a lot of dimmers programmed such that if the light is off and I press the bottom of the button, it does something else, like turn off a floor, set the lights to a dim level, etc. These worked flawlessly in the past because when I pressed the bottom button C4 already knew if the light was on or off.

Now, though, there's a lag before C4 finds out what the state of the light is. So if a light is on at 50% and I press the bottom of the switch (simply to turn it off) the light goes to zero while the system sends out a "polling" request. Often, by the time the polling request comes in, the light is off and C4 says, "When bottom button is pressed and the light is off, set to 50%". And it's back to 50%. For entertainment purposes this could essentially go on indefinitely.

--Jason

Thanks!

So has there been a workaround to this in case the legal issue isnt resolved anytime soon? Maybe instead of using the 'state' of the light use a variable, since the status requires the polling but a variable change would not?

For example give a variable 3 values, 0 for off, 1 for dim, 2 for 100% on, or however many increments you want. When you hit the bottom button it checks the variable to see the value, and bases the action on that variable, then adjusts the variable accordingly. Wouldnt that eliminate the whole polling issue?

Alan ... You mentioned that 1.7 is going to integrate with xbmc ... does this mean we are going to be able to read a MyMovies xml file straight into the C4 navigation screen ?

cheers

Andrew

media management is handled fully by composer media edition. you do not need to utilise the xbmc backend for media management at all. Scanning capabilities are compatible so large collections are relatively easy to import however manual adding of files is also possible.

Archived