C4 Forums | Control4

Surge Protection for Control4 Equipment

hehateme

Can someone recommend a surge protector for the Control4 Equipment?

I will hook up the amplifier and tuner to it. In future I will add video distribution to it.

There is a lot of debate about the need for surge protector, linear power conditioner etc.

I know that I need surge protection for sure but not too sure about linear power conditioners etc.

Thanks

You need to hook up the controllers and your network equipment to battery backups with line conditioning preferably. The rest of your gear *could* go on "surge protectors", but ideally I would put them on line conditioning and or battery backup as well.

The APC line comes recommended.

http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=15&segmentID=1

How big of one is recommended. I was recently thinking about this and Circuit City had some for 30% off. I saw them this Sunday at the going out of business sale. I can't remember the specs, but I think the biggest one was 550? It said it would run a tower computer and 19" LCD for 30 minutes. Didn't seem like it would support all this automation equipment for very long, so I quickly lost interest. They were $99 before the 30% off. They also had a 350 (?) for $69 before discount. They were APC brand.

I currently use 2 Tripp-Lite Smart 1500's and 2 Smart 1000's. I dont remember what is hooked into what, but i have my router, switch, modem, 2-300's, vid switch, 4 DTV DVR's, MC, and I think the 2 audio matrixs, the only think i dont have ran into them are the 2 amps.

I have a couple of HC300's, an old media controller, an 8 zone amp, and an 8x8 matrix switch. I have a bunch more stuff like my routers, VoIP phone box, dvd players and DVR's, but I don't think that stuff needs a UPS does it? Also, this brings up the fact that I don't know how to properly shut the controllers and what not down! What is the proper procedure there? I have never tried to reboot the HC300's as they are new, but with the media controller I have just been pulling the plug out of the back. I assume there is a better way?

You'll want to UPS the HC300s, the MC, routers, VOIP box, DVRs. All of those are the most sensitive gear you own. If you have extra juice to spare, then by all means all of it is better protected on a UPS.

Thanks for the advice, I will make sure and put that high on the priority list.

On a side note however, I am still curious as to the appropriate way to power down or reboot the media controller. I haven't looked closely at the HC300's to see if there is an obvious way on those or not, but I can't figure out how to reboot or power down the media controller short of pulling the cord out of the back. Is there a better way?

Archived