C4 Forums | Control4

Switching to Blue Ray; Anyone using video sense?

Thanks for reply...yep. That's what I mean..

Re "Audio Sense"..I meant the abilty to sense line level audio in....in the same way video is sensed.

...so that if an audio stream is detected on the rca in, and event is triggered....

It could be used for CD players in the same way as DVD players,

And also to trigger amp brands that aren't C4. :)

Didn't someone say recently they heard that Blue-ray players will be forced by Sony to drop the composite video outputs altogether sometime in the not to distant future?

Well I'm not sure.

All the more reason to go out and get one now but....

This is the problem: If you look at some of the Sony players, they definitely have a composite socket (as well as component) along with HDMI. But if you check the manuals they have a table which indicates that although they will output video simultaneously from HDMI and composite, when they do, the HDMI signal is downgraded to 1080i and is NOT full 1080p.

I want a player that will do simultaneous 1080p HDMI (to the TV) and composite (for videosense on the HC300). And I want it confirmed that it will happen! So many stores don't let you hook up and try!!

From my research you are correct in that to get it to ouput to both simultaneously you must set the output to 1080i.

That makes sense, but is unfortunate.

Is this fallout from the old "1080p must ONLY be transmitted via HDMI" conspiracy set by the blue-ray manufacturers and the movie studios????:mad:

I know! Like if that will ever happen :):):)

Maybe we need a HC300 with HDMI autosensing.....

alternatively, I suppose I could get an HDMI splitter, and a HDMI >- composite "downconverter" ..and do it that way....

..or run a composite out from my surround amp into the HC300 autosense....the trouble with this approach is the amp wont know when to switch on etc ...

I'm confused. Why do you need video sense for a blu ray?

Make sure you buy one with discrete power commands, and there is no need for a video sense.

Is there some other reason?

Now I'm confused myself :D

I thought you needed to feed a composite signal into the HC300 in order to have that very useful feature of "fire up and set all the correct inputs" on loading the disk into the drive. This was demonstrated to me when I first saw C4 (it was very impressive)...and now I want to get it happening if I switch to blue-ray....:P

I've only ever used to to sense on/off state - for devices that dont have discrete power control.

Right, if there's discrete on/off codes, or two-way control, control4 can keep track of the state and will know whether or not something is off/on before sending the command to change it's state.

Now I'm confused myself :D

I thought you needed to feed a composite signal into the HC300 in order to have that very useful feature of "fire up and set all the correct inputs" on loading the disk into the drive. This was demonstrated to me when I first saw C4 (it was very impressive)...and now I want to get it happening if I switch to blue-ray....:P

I think people are misunderstanding exactly what you are trying to do. If I understand you correctly you want to be able to walk up to your BluRay player press the power button on the BluRay player to turn on the BluRay player, insert a disk and press play to start the movie. You then want the C4 system to automatically turn your TV and any other equipment necessary to watch the movie.

The key thing here is that you do not want to use the C4 remote to turn the system on first you want the C4 system to see that you have manually turned on the BluRay and have the C4 system turn on all the other components..

You are correct that you would need some way to monitor the on/off state and presence of video to implement the functionality you want.

One way would be to use video sense.

Another way would be to find a BluRay player that had two-way control via either serial or Ethernet. This way the BluRay could tell the C4 system that it was powered on and the C4 system could then power on all the other components.

One other way that might work is to use a C4 wireless switch to monitor the power consumption of the BluRay player. There is a feature of the C4 outlet switch that can monitor how much power a device is using.

I think people are misunderstanding exactly what you are trying to do. If I understand you correctly you want to be able to walk up to your BluRay player press the power button on the BluRay player to turn on the BluRay player, insert a disk and press play to start the movie. You then want the C4 system to automatically turn your TV and any other equipment necessary to watch the movie.

The key thing here is that you do not want to use the C4 remote to turn the system on first you want the C4 system to see that you have manually turned on the BluRay and have the C4 system turn on all the other components..

You are correct that you would need some way to monitor the on/off state and presence of video to implement the functionality you want.

One way would be to use video sense.

Another way would be to find a BluRay player that had two-way control via either serial or Ethernet. This way the BluRay could tell the C4 system that it was powered on and the C4 system could then power on all the other components.

One other way that might work is to use a C4 wireless switch to monitor the power consumption of the BluRay player. There is a feature of the C4 outlet switch that can monitor how much power a device is using.

You got it! :D

You can't put in a blue-ray disc from your armchair...unless you're a hot shot at "frisbie" !:D

To load and play any disc, you have to be physically at the player. So why would you want to fiddle with the remote or touchscreen?...particularly given the HC300 has a videosense input.

Why not use this function? This was a big selling point when I first looked at C4 gear...

I'm not sure there are too many blue-rays with serial interfaces, let alone codes...so video-sense should be easier. This has been done before with DVD players and things like the wii. When I find a blue-ray and test it out, I'll let everyone know. The Denon 1800 looks OK, (The manual say's it will output 1080p AND composite).

Would anybody have one of these they could test for me and see if this in fact the case? :):):)

Archived