C4 Forums | Control4

Serial driver issue with discrete command macros

Hi,

I'm new to C4.

I'm trying to write a serial driver using Composer's driver editor. My receiver offers discrete input and volume control. I've added the six inputs. To assign serial commands to the inputs there should be a macro offered for each inputs. There must be another macro for the 'discrete volume' offering the 'LEVEL' parameter. However, what macros are offered appears to be random. I've had about ten attempts to create the driver by now. Each time different macros were offered. Sometimes none at all, other times there were macros for the inputs but not for the volume, a third time everything was there and also worked fine for a while but later the input control stopped working. I went back and checked the driver and yes, the corresponding macros were missing ...

Has some of you experienced something like this? I'd be happy to hear that I'm missing something before I start hacking the XML file instead of using the built-in driver editor.

Thanks,

You can't use the driver wizard to write or edit a serial driver. It has to be done using the SDK guidelines.

You can. On the second screen of the Driver Wizard you are asked whether IR or a serial driver is what you want to create. However it only supports creating one-way drivers. It is even pretty powerful if you don't need to go two-way. It supports ASCII, hexa, decimal and it is also possible to mix the formats. It is even possible to embed a parameter into a serial sequence. I want to use it for embedding my 'volume level' into a discrete volume control command.

Anyway, it appears that I managed to track down this issue. Although my receiver is audio only, not having a better idea, as part of a "change something and see what happens" approach, I assigned video connections to all the inputs. This made all the 'input select' macros shown up under the 'macro' tab. Then after unticking the 'video connection', the macros stayed there. This made the trick. Interestingly the same trick worked for an ASwitch driver too, which in my interpretation means AudioSwitch. Doesn't it?

I also managed to track down why the 'discrete volume control' sometimes missed show up. My receiver is directly connected to a power amp and since C4 has nothing to do with it (switch or select), I simply didn't add the output.

You can't use the driver wizard to write or edit a serial driver. It has to be done using the SDK guidelines.

The drive wizard can create one-way serial drivers but not two-way serial drivers. As you stated you need driverworks to make two-way serial drivers. The OP said nothing about creating a two-way driver.

Archived