C4 Forums | Control4

Dimming lights at night

I have my second floor lights controlled by 4 different dimmers. 1 is the "master" that turns all the lights on and off and 3 others are 2 button dimmers that are "connected" to the second floor lights.

I would like to program them so that when one of the kids turns on the light between 9:00 pm and 6:00 AM, that the maximum level of the lights is 20% to not wake up the other kids.

I know someone must gave done this before, so rather than re-inventing the wheel with my pathetic programming abilities........

Help.

I can't answer to your specific Q but I'm successful at instructing a dimmer (via a 6B) to 100% when the maximum for that dimmer is only set to 20%. So, I would think you could force any value no matter what the load controller is actually paramatized to.

It's likely that the 2 button keypad is bound to the dimmer in "connections" and your programming tells it to go to 20% while the inital tap says go to 100%

From your script, I'm guessing that there is one dimmer and 3 2-button keypads with the ability to turn the lights on/off from any device. All of the devices are probably bound together in connections.

You can do what you are trying to do with programming but your dealer would have to remove the connection bindings first

The problem I am having is that the light goes to 20%, and then immediately to 100%.

How can I get it to not go to 100% ?

Thanx.

I remember having a problem like this. Instead of using "Set Level on Foyer-> 2nd Floor Light to 20", try selecting the variables under the 2nd Floor Light and using PRESET_LEVEL to create "Foyer->2nd Floor Light->PRESET_LEVEL=20". If I recall correctly, that seemed to prevent the dimmer from ramping up past 20.

Ultimately, here's how I set up "nightlight mode" for my home. This programming sets a half-dozen or so dimmers to come on to a preset level at 11:30PM and returns them to a new preset level levels 15 minutes after sunrise.

PART 1

1) Created two scheduler events. One to turn "nightlight_on" at 11:30 PM and one to turn "nightlight_off" 15 minutes after sunrise.

2) Created a numeric variable called "nightlight_level"

PART 2

When scheduled event "nightlight_on" executes:,

- set the variable "nightlight_level = 20" (or whatever percentage you want)

- then for each dimmer I wanted to come on to the nightlight level I use "PRESET_LEVEL to the value of Variables -> nightlight_level"

Then I programmed the reverse when "nightlight_off" executes setting the variable "nightlight_level=100" and using the same "PRESET_LEVEL to the value of Variables -> nightlight_level".

It works like a charm. Any dimmer turned on after 11:30PM only ramps to 20% And setting it up that way gave me the flexibility to experiment with the "nightlight_level" without having to reprogram each dimmer. IE: If I want 30% instead of 20% I just change one line.

Let me know if that makes sense/works? (Or if screen shots would help?)

Archived