C4 Forums | Control4

Looking into Control4

ms2bmw

Hi,

Back in 2005/06, I was looking at home automation and C4 was one of my choices. It was fairly new back then so I decided to go the DIY route using a windows based software which for the most part worked for my purposes. Unfortunately I've been very busy at work and now don't have the time to tinker so I decided to look at C4 again and see how its doing. Looks like things have changed a lot since I last looked at it hence I'm considering it now for my home theater, family room and master bedroom. I am thinking of implementing C4 in my HT first and if I'm satisfied, do the remaining rooms.

My HT equipment consists of a Sony projector, Vudu Box, Sony 777ES DVD Changer, Denon Receiver, U-Verse STB, 4x1 HDMI switcher and a PS3. The room is wired up and if needed, I can add more cables since I had smurf tubes installed to allow for future expansion. All of the equipment are on a rack (except for the projector which is hanging of the ceiling). The dealer that I talked to suggested that I use HC-300 and a C4 media player (replacing the PS3). Cost of the two is $1,800.00 ($1,100.00 equipment and $700 labor) before taxes. On top of this, dealer is suggesting I get a linksys VPN router ($190 unit) to replace the built in router on the U-Verse modem. Dealer is also charging separate labor for the family room ($600) and masters bedroom ($500).

Do you think the price especially the labor cost is fair? Looks a bit high to me especially in the family and masters bedroom where I have less equipment than the HT. I will be getting a quote from a different dealer this week so I can compare. Can I source the hardware from the dealer and have different dealer program it remotely? I believe the latter is doable if I have a 4sight account correct? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

If it's been a few years since you looked at C4, you will be surprised how far the system has progressed. I remember meeting with Control4 at the CES release event and thinking it cool but not ready for prime time. All that has changed in the past year, it's robust, feature rich and impressive.

Since you've been DIY, the labor charges probably look way out of line, but the Bay Area probably has higher than average programming costs since the area itself is so expensive. I'd talk to a couple of dealers in your area and find someone you are comfortable for the long haul. Don't choose the lowest bidder, chose who fits your needs the best.

BTW: You don't mention exactly how you use the existing PS3, buy I'd double check to ensure that the media player will be able to replace the PS3.

Yeah, I was impressed when I saw it in action in the dealer's showroom. One minor downside is that the mainscreen still looks the same from what I saw a couple of years ago.

I stream my movies from an HP mediasmart server to the PS3. The automation software that I currently use does not have support for PS3 so I'm doing this manually. I've also seen some IR-to-bluetooth interfaces on the market that look promising. Dealer was telling me it can replicate the function of the PS3 so it will be interesting how that will come out since the C4 media player just recently came out.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely talk to a few dealers to compare programming costs.

Yeah, I was impressed when I saw it in action in the dealer's showroom. One minor downside is that the mainscreen still looks the same from what I saw a couple of years ago.

This will change very soon. 2.0 is coming out and bringing not only an easy to look at gui, but also a customizeable one. It was shown at CEDIA. I expect it in the first half of next year.

More info here:

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4002

I stream my movies from an HP mediasmart server to the PS3. The automation software that I currently use does not have support for PS3 so I'm doing this manually. I've also seen some IR-to-bluetooth interfaces on the market that look promising. Dealer was telling me it can replicate the function of the PS3 so it will be interesting how that will come out since the C4 media player just recently came out.

It won't, not 100%. It doesn't play Blu-ray .iso files, nor does it support menu structure of the disc. There's no BD-live support, and no support for Dobly TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio.

The main benefits are, if you have files on your network already that are in formats the player supports, it's 100% easy to play them back. Simply select the cover art and the movie plays.

More information here:

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4391

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4424

Good to know that the UI is improving :)

I'll probably get another blu-ray player anyway since we have a collection of these disks already. I have most of my movies in .mp4 formats so hopefully it will support it. The reason I'm stating this is I recently got a Samsung LED LCD TV that has DLNA support. It sees the files on my media server but can't play any of it although the documentation says it supports the formats. Probably need to upgrade the firmware.

The fact that the media point doesn't support even a DVD's menu structure is mind boggling. How they could not include that (seemingly) basic functionality is beyond me.

I am going to stick with my EVA9150's.

How does C4 control this device, IR or serial?

The fact that the media point doesn't support even a DVD's menu structure is mind boggling. How they could not include that (seemingly) basic functionality is beyond me.

How does C4 control this device' date=' IR or serial?[/quote']

Niether, through IP.

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=3978

I think the goal was to just start playing the movie without any interaction. "Everyday easy". I'm not sure how it handles .iso files with the menu, it may jump straight to the movie since the menu is an "interactive chapter".

I think the goal was to just start playing the movie without any interaction. "Everyday easy". I'm not sure how it handles .iso files with the menu' date=' it may jump straight to the movie since the menu is an "interactive chapter".[/quote']

I understand the "Everyday Easy", but you cannot tell me that someone said "get rid of this menu structure for every movie. That isn't easy enough. Nobody watches the alternate endings or special features, and nobody uses subtitles anyways. Get rid of the to make watching a movie easier".

If they did, well...

Gawd, should I cancel my order for one of these or what?

I'm not saying that at all, it should be a great unit. I am just saying that trying to convince someone they left out key features to make it easier to use is a little silly.

I am sure it will be great, if not right now, after an update or two. If it is lacking right now, I don't see them letting it stay that way.

This is an area that Control4 has discussed widely and continue to discuss. Be assured that the development effort on the product continues. It's clear that menuing is high priority -- probably the highest priority enhancement for the product.

Here are some additional things to consider:

1. The Media Player is intended to be super easy to use – it has an extremely streamlined user interface as the main interaction should be through the Control4 Navigator.

2. Menuing is MOST problematic (notice I didn’t say ONLY) for folks that already have digital video libraries. If you are creating one, then there may be several reasons (time, NAS space, etc) to have a single language and main video. Some would argue that this makes for a much better user experience as video playback starts immediately.

This is an area that Control4 has discussed widely and continue to discuss. Be assured that the development effort on the product continues. It's clear that menuing is high priority -- probably the highest priority enhancement for the product.

1. The Media Player is intended to be super easy to use – it has an extremely streamlined user interface as the main interaction should be through the Control4 Navigator.

2. Menuing is MOST problematic (notice I didn’t say ONLY) for folks that already have digital video libraries. If you are creating one, then there may be several reasons (time, NAS space, etc) to have a single language and main video. Some would argue that this makes for a much better user experience as video playback starts immediately.

I agree, but there should be the option to do it either way. I have some movies that I have cut the menu out of, but I found that it doesn't save hardly any space to cut out the menu. I agree it is really nice to just have the movie start, but having the choice is nicer =)

It is good to hear that Control4 is aware of that being a priority. Like I said, I am sure this will see many upgrades over the coming months that will greatly improve functionality. Thanks for the confirmation Matt.

On a different note, does anyone have any experience integrating C4 with an ELK M1 alarm panel? On my current system, I use an ethernet interface (M1XEP) and load a driver to talk to it via IP. Works well so was wondering if this can be done with C4.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that, unless you're asking if the keypad that comes up on the display is custom for the M1. If that's the case, then yes. Every security driver specifies what buttons come up on the display.

Been too long.

RyanE

Hi Guys:

1) Will this new C4 media unit function with any NAS (DLNA compliant) unit such as a Lacie or Buffalo or do I need to look for a specific NAS unit?

2) If I have large (15gb-30gb) ripped bluray copies of my collection on a NAS unit in both .mkv and .m2ts format, would this C4 media unit be compatible and functional with these formats and file sizes?

3) Would it be possible for this C4 media unit to display cover art "all together" with movies from my NAS unit and CX7000 BD changer?

TY in advance for your help.

2. Menuing is MOST problematic (notice I didn’t say ONLY) for folks that already have digital video libraries. If you are creating one' date=' then there may be several reasons (time, NAS space, etc) to have a single language and main video. Some would argue that this makes for a much better user experience as video playback starts immediately.[/quote']

Hi Guys:

1) Will this new C4 media unit function with any NAS (DLNA compliant) unit such as a Lacie or Buffalo or do I need to look for a specific NAS unit?

2) If I have large (15gb-30gb) ripped bluray copies of my collection on a NAS unit in both .mkv and .m2ts format, would this C4 media unit be compatible and functional with these formats and file sizes?

3) Would it be possible for this C4 media unit to display cover art "all together" with movies from my NAS unit and CX7000 BD changer?

1) Does not have to be DLNA, but DLNA doesn't hurt. We're not doing anything with DLNA at this time, maybe with 2.0 - but yes, any NAS will work.

2) Can't say since we dont have shipping units/firmware yet.

3) Yes. It works just like the 9150/xbmc/zatabit - combined coverart.

2. Menuing is MOST problematic (notice I didn’t say ONLY) for folks that already have digital video libraries. If you are creating one' date=' then there may be several reasons (time, NAS space, etc) to have a single language and main video. Some would argue that this makes for a much better user experience as video playback starts immediately.[/quote']

Hi Guys:

1) Does not have to be DLNA, but DLNA doesn't hurt. We're not doing anything with DLNA at this time, maybe with 2.0 - but yes, any NAS will work.

2) Can't say since we dont have shipping units/firmware yet.

3) Yes. It works just like the 9150/xbmc/zatabit - combined coverart.

Thx Codeman!

Is there any estimate/feedback from C4 when these units will be available?

Archived