C4 Forums | Control4

New Fireplace Switch

bebster

Is this switch really just a low-voltage switch, and can be used for any low-voltage device that needs switching, and not just a fireplace?

It seems to act like a zigbee programmable relay,where the relay opens/closes by programming (or by keypad tap), and the line that opens/closes is a low-voltage line.

The fireplace switch is low voltage relay. It is somewhat like the combination of a C4 2 button keypad and a Card-Access contact relay. It of course only has one relay. This is the beauty of the fireplace switch. It takes what was about $300.00 worth of hardware to control a fireplace and reduces the cost to $129.00 MSRP.

Theoretically it could be used to switch other low voltage devices. At this time however the only C4 proxy it can be bound to is the fireplace proxy. Because of this it will only show up as a fireplace in the C4 interface.

I have already posted this exact question on the C4 dealer forum.

henniae, you make a great point. You have already posted this exact question on the dealer forum. But bebster does not appear to be a dealer. I expect there is a lot of information on the dealer forum that us non dealers would be intereted in reading. But since we can not read the dealer forum please don't tell us that you have already posetd someting in the dealer forum.

Thanks

henniae, you make a great point. You have already posted this exact question on the dealer forum. But bebster does not appear to be a dealer. I expect there is a lot of information on the dealer forum that us non dealers would be intereted in reading. But since we can not read the dealer forum please don't tell us that you have already posetd someting in the dealer forum.

Thanks

He's just letting you know that he had the same question and asked so he could find out the answer and post here.

Ok this kind of stuff is over my head. I have a gas fireplace that I currently have to hold down the pilot button then hit the striker button ( I'm an idiot that didn't get a switch for this when I built the house). Once I go to 2.0 is this something that can be easily configured for my setup (meaning how do I get control of my fireplace, there has to be something connected to it right?

It's good to know that it can be used more generally.

Can you switch anything from 0 to 24 volts?

I'm assuming that in Composer you could change the name of each to something more descriptive (like you can with other switches)?

You could, but it will show up in your navigator as a fireplace. You will turn it on and off using a picture of a fireplace, and the little animatged flame will turn on and off.

That seems odd to me to adapt it to a different purpose, and have that graphic.

The fireplace switch is low voltage relay. It is somewhat like the combination of a C4 2 button keypad and a Card-Access contact relay. It of course only has one relay. This is the beauty of the fireplace switch. It takes what was about $300.00 worth of hardware to control a fireplace and reduces the cost to $129.00 MSRP.

Is the two button keypad a requirement? If you used this with an existing 6 button keypad then the price differential would be minimal, wouldn't it as the CardAccess relays are about $129 aren't they? I have two 6 Buttons by the bed in our Master Bedroom - one for me and one for Mrs. Zaphod. They currently control lights and blinds but I hope to integrate the FP soon.

Once I get my gas FP on a relay then I will add in the FP as one of the buttons and then I will either have to group lights together or start getting into double taps.

henniae' date=' you make a great point. You have already posted this exact question on the dealer forum. But bebster does not appear to be a dealer. I expect there is a lot of information on the dealer forum that us non dealers would be intereted in reading. But since we can not read the dealer forum please don't tell us that you have already posetd someting in the dealer forum.

Thanks[/quote']

He's just letting you know that he had the same question and asked so he could find out the answer and post here.

That is correct. I aske if the FP switch could be used for other low voltage applications. The answer was that it can currently only be bound to the fireplace proxy. Because it can only be bound to the fireplace proxy it will only appear as a fireplace in the C4 interface.

There is nothing stopping you from hooking it to some other low voltage device as long as you don't mind that that device appears as a fireplace in the C4 interface.

I have a question about providing power for the Control4 fireplace switch. I just opened up my existing fireplace switch wall plate, and it's just a switch for the fireplace, no 120V in the box. From the C4Central.com writeup, "Alternatively, it can be powered via Class 2 low-voltage using the Control4 24V Keypad Power Supply". What is this? How is this powered and how does it connect to the switch?

Thanks!

Good question. I have the exact same setup. I would love to get these but need to understand what electrical needs to be done as well.

I have a question about providing power for the Control4 fireplace switch. I just opened up my existing fireplace switch wall plate, and it's just a switch for the fireplace, no 120V in the box. From the C4Central.com writeup, "Alternatively, it can be powered via Class 2 low-voltage using the Control4 24V Keypad Power Supply". What is this? How is this powered and how does it connect to the switch?

Thanks!

The low-voltage option is to use a low-voltage power supply available from Control4, and the low voltage contacts can be wired in where the AC normally connects to the switch.

It's mainly useful for install situations where the Control4 dealer does not have high-voltage certification, but they can install low voltage equipment. If you have a plug and a way to get low voltage wiring to the switch (in addition to the fireplace wiring), that would certainly work, and would avoid having to wire high voltage (110V) to the switch.

RyanE

It seems to me that the C4 fireplace switch is not well suited for a retrofit application. I say this because most fireplaces have a single pair of wires that run from the fireplace to the switch used to control the fireplace. Since there is only a single pair of wires there we have no way to power the C4 fireplace switch.

In these situations you could use a C4 2 button keypad and a card access wireless relay. Use the existing 2 wires from the fireplace to the switch to power the C4 2 button keypad via low voltage. Use the card accessrelay in the fireplace to control the fireplace.

^Exactly, the C4 part is goofy. Instead of switching LV AC, it switches LV DC. Big deal.

Please don't come back with the flame icon bit :) How many requests has C4 received for automated toaster and does C4 give us a Viking toaster icon? NOooooo!

^Exactly, the C4 part is goofy. Instead of switching LV AC, it switches LV DC. Big deal.

Please don't come back with the flame icon bit :) How many requests has C4 received for automated toaster and does C4 give us a Viking toaster icon? NOooooo!

The new C4 fireplace switch has its' place in the C4 ecosystem. It is an easy to use device and fills a gap. It is great for new installs and installs where you can retro the correct wiring for its' use. It is just no a drop in replacement many existing fireplace switches.

As I mentioned there is an existing solution for the application where there are only 2 conductors at the existing fireplace switch.

This is a win/win. New installs have a cost effective easy to use solution. Retro installs now have 2 solutions depending on the ability to pull additional wire. If you can pull additional wire use the fireplace switch. If you cant pull additional wire use the C4 2 button and card access contact.

Agreed. I just wish they came out with it 6 months ago.

What is the existing option? Is it card access relay?

^Exactly' date=' the C4 part is goofy. Instead of switching LV AC, it switches LV DC. Big deal.

Please don't come back with the flame icon bit :) How many requests has C4 received for automated toaster and does C4 give us a Viking toaster icon? NOooooo![/quote']

The new C4 fireplace switch has its' place in the C4 ecosystem. It is an easy to use device and fills a gap. It is great for new installs and installs where you can retro the correct wiring for its' use. It is just no a drop in replacement many existing fireplace switches.

As I mentioned there is an existing solution for the application where there are only 2 conductors at the existing fireplace switch.

This is a win/win. New installs have a cost effective easy to use solution. Retro installs now have 2 solutions depending on the ability to pull additional wire. If you can pull additional wire use the fireplace switch. If you cant pull additional wire use the C4 2 button and card access contact.

This has been an interesting read on the new fireplace switch. My question is on the comments for a new install. For new installs (a newly constructred home for example) would it not be just as easy to have CAT5 run from the switch location to the HC (for a relay connection), use a 2-Button to control the reply? If there is no 120v power at the 2-Button location, the low voltage supply by C4 can be added at the HC location and power the 2-Button through the same CAT5. Makes sense?

This has been an interesting read on the new fireplace switch. My question is on the comments for a new install. For new installs (a newly constructred home for example) would it not be just as easy to have CAT5 run from the switch location to the HC (for a relay connection), use a 2-Button to control the reply? If there is no 120v power at the 2-Button location, the low voltage supply by C4 can be added at the HC location and power the 2-Button through the same CAT5. Makes sense?

Having the switch hard wired and not controlled by a relay and a two button will allow it to work if your C4 system is down.

Granted, that doesn't happen much but still something to think about.

I ended up leaving the original switch in the wall AND hard wiring to the relay on my HC-300. If I turn it on from the wall switch I have to turn it off there, but I also now have control from a 6 button keypad on the opposite wall and my C4 remote. I just couldn't figure out a way to get 120V in the same box without ripping out drywall. It took a couple of hours to run a wire from the 2nd floor down to the basement, but it's so nice having the ability to turn the fireplace on and off from bed.

Dan - good point. The other issue is power outage. Newer gas fireplaces have battery backups so they can be still be turned on and off by a dry switch. I don't think there is a way to leverage this contingency in a C4 solution. If there is, I would interested to know how it is done or if the fireplace switch solves this problem (I havent worked with this fp switch yet and haven't kept up on my reading).

Dan - good point. The other issue is power outage. Newer gas fireplaces have battery backups so they can be still be turned on and off by a dry switch. I don't think there is a way to leverage this contingency in a C4 solution. If there is, I would interested to know how it is done or if the fireplace switch solves this problem (I havent worked with this fp switch yet and haven't kept up on my reading).

I have two fireplaces hooked up to Control4, just controlled by a relay like was suggested earlier. I have a third that is not, simply because I cannot get wiring to the inside of the fireplace due to it's location and surrounding "decor". I am going to pull this switch out of the wall and see how it is wired. By looking under the fireplace and at the installation manual it appears that high voltage goes to the unit under the fireplace, but I haven't look at it enough to really figure it out. If I have low voltage wires coming out of the switch that controls this fireplace then I will order one of these up.

Archived