C4 Forums | Control4

Serial Extender

What luck has anyone had with a serial extender unit? Recommendations? I have an HTC going into a customer's house that may need to control a Denon receiver as well as a GE Concord alarm panel. Apparently the C4 unit isnt ready for release yet....

I heard they pulled the Serial / IR Extender until further notice. I wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you. You can use a HTC or perhaps an Ethernet to Serial adapter, I'm not sure how well they would integrate with C4.

To play it safe an HTC with a wifi bridge is your safest bet. A Zigbee Serial Extender would be awesome, sucks that it's not going to be made for a while if ever.

• 2 weeks later...

A WIFI bridge was an option, until I realized that he's going to be streaming audio throughout the house...I'm not confident yet that any of the bridges we use or can get allow enough bandwidth for the audio to not cut in or out, which will be a major problem for this customer. Unfortunately we didn't wire the house, which is to say, it was done wrong. So, I think he'll need to stick to IR control for the receiver at this point.

Archived