C4 Forums | Control4

How to set up dual WEP and WPA wifi network?

I know a little bit of networking stuff, but definitely not an expert. I understand that the 10" touch pad only uses WEP security, so currently my complete network, Airport Extreme Base station WiFI security is set to WEP.

Well I just purchased a new Macbook Pro and noticed that when networking with WIfi, it runs pretty slow (especially copying files from my other computers). After doing a little research, I found that WEP security can slow down your WiFi. So I want to set up a dual WEP and WPA security wifi, where WEP security will network my 10 " touch pad and rest of my computers and stuff will run on the WPA security. Can someone explain how I can set this up? I purchased a Linksys wireless router (801.g) to network my 10" touch pad. So where do I go from here?

Also, I noticed in my Airport Utility, you can set up a guest network, can I set up the guest network to be WEP and the main network to be WPA without using two wireless routers?

Any assistance, from network experts will greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

I would purchase a wireless access point instead of the router. then configure your airport extreme for wpa and configure the access point for wep. I have used this setup multiple times with no problems.

Thanks. So it would go from Cable modem > Airport Extreme (set up with WPA security) > Wireless access point (with WEP security) ? So I would plug in the Wireless access point into the Airport extreme via an ethernet cable?

Archived