C4 Forums | Control4

C4 wireless touch panel with IP camera

sbindia

Hi, I like to know that a camera in the entrance of the main door can be viewed in the C4 wireless touch panel. or can a C4 wired or wireless touch panel can be used to see a camera which is fixed in the entrance of the main door when anybody rings the door bell

We use our touch screens all the time to view our IP camera (baby room). We use a 10" wireless and the in-wall wired screens. To me, IP camera is the killer app which "justifies" the 10" wireless screen. If you are looking for always-on, you will have to disable the screen savers on those screens.

We use our touch screens all the time to view our IP camera (baby room). We use a 10" wireless and the in-wall wired screens. To me, IP camera is the killer app which "justifies" the 10" wireless screen. If you are looking for always-on, you will have to disable the screen savers on those screens.

Do they provide motion video or just static images that get updated every so often?

We use our touch screens all the time to view our IP camera (baby room). We use a 10" wireless and the in-wall wired screens. To me' date=' IP camera is the killer app which "justifies" the 10" wireless screen. If you are looking for always-on, you will have to disable the screen savers on those screens.[/quote']

Do they provide motion video or just static images that get updated every so often?

It does motion in theory, but in practice the best refresh rate you get is every second or two. When its slow (network traffic...also low light on my camera tends to be slower) it may refresh every 5-10 seconds. Which is fine for watching the baby. I have a Panasonic camera and there's a utility which lets you watch over the network independently of the C4 system. The motion rates are the same whether I am watching through C4 or the utility, so I conclude that my C4 system doesn't slow the motion significantly.

Also, there's not a huge difference in speed between the 10" wireless (mine is v1) and watching it wired through the MC/HTC or wired touchscreens. My wife loves taking the wireless screen around the house to keep an eye on the baby. You can also watch it on the C4 remote access when away from home, but that almost always runs slower.

I would have to disagree with Waynechi. The refresh rate of the camera depends on many factors. Quality of the camera, protocol on which cameras are transmiting images, the quality of the router, the access point, etc, etc, etc.

In my test case with SonicWall firewall router, Cisco 1200 access point, HC300 - two of 4" touchpanels and TV in HD mode were able to produce images from three Axis wireless cameras with rate of between 7 and 15 frames per second. The limit of 15 Fps was set by me on all cameras. All cameras were transmitting Motion JPEG.

Archived