C4 Forums | Control4

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR Power Problems

It seems on the new Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR's which are standard now from Comcast if you want an HD cable box, that the box will turn off by itself after a period of time with no use. This is a pain since we usually "assume device is always on". Has anyone experienced this and if so, what are you doing as a workaround?

a few things to try:

the comcast firmware for 8300HD boxes turns it to a gray screen that says 'press any key to continue' - is this your problem?, if so, I've programmed C4 to blast something like 'guide' then 'exit' codes periodically to keep the box from 'shutting down'

if the box just turns itself off, however, make sure you've got it in a ventilated space, those things get hot and do all sorts of wacky things.

The box is turning itself off and it is on a shelf, so it is not overheating. We spoke to Comcast and they said that the box will turn itself off when it is not used for a period of time. The basic 8300HD doesn't do this but the new 8300HD DVR version does (currently in 2 installs & both do the same thing). They suggested speaking with SA directly. Does anyone have an 8300HD DVR installed where this doesn't happen? I am curious to see if it might be something else and Comcast is passing the blame. Thanks.

Someone had a good idea to program the box to turn itself on / off and just don't program the IR code for off. That coupled with Video Sense I think you will be alright.

We have the same issue and yet to have it resolved.

Someone had a good idea to program the box to turn itself on / off and just don't program the IR code for off. That coupled with Video Sense I think you will be alright.

I suggested that on another thread - but that won't work with this box. We discovered this a while ago. Come to find out - there is an option in the MENU somewhere of that box - that allows CHANNEL NUMBERS to turn the box on. So we created a macro that used the POWER OFF (really toggle) to turn the box off, and used a channel 100 ... enter ... to turn the box on. Worked GREAT and solved the problem 100%. I don't think I have the driver anymore though ... :( Sorry. But it shouldn't be too hard to figure out once you play with and see what I'm talking about.

Shawn

I found the driver we used - I'll upload it in the files section for you guys. It DOES require what I said above to be turned on first though (under SETUP--> POWER-ON KEYS --> POWER AND NUMERIC). This will make it unimportant that the 8300HD turns itself off. OH - and if memory serves - I think the A, B and C keys were mapped to BACK = A, DVR = B, NEXT = C.

Thanks Guys! We tried using the video sense and it seems like there is always enough voltage present on the video out for the SA box that it always thinks it is "on". I will check out the boxes down here to see if we can use channels to turn it on. Damn SA!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Guys! We tried using the video sense and it seems like there is always enough voltage present on the video out for the SA box that it always thinks it is "on". I will check out the boxes down here to see if we can use channels to turn it on. Damn SA!

Curious to know what happened with the SA boxes since we use 'em here. Any updates, Mike? Thanks.

Well - as I said before Andy - give our driver a test and just make sure you turn the option on in the setup of the SA boxes to allow POWER and NUMERIC to turn the box on. Then the driver we wrote will work perfect for ya.

Archived