C4 Forums | Control4

NTP - no network time update on clients - help

Hi all,

I have an HC800 main controller, some HC300s, 7" screens, & mini touch screens. All worked fine with network time updates until the last update (2.53).

Now - only the HC800 seems to be getting it time updated via NTP, the others are all stuck on a default time around 2008.

I now have to login via SSH (root:t0talc0ntr0l4!) to the other clients and run the 'ntpclient -h <ntp host ip> &' each time they are rebooted in order for them to get the correct time from the internet

It would seem that the ntp system on each of the clients cannot connect to the HC800 to get the updated time.

'ntpq -p' shows that there are never any updates and '/etc/ntp.conf' shows it is trying the director (hc800) with the following line:

server director burst minpoll 4 maxpoll 7

On further inspection it seems that there is no ntpd process running on the HC800 and this is because there is no /usr/sbin/ntpd application present.

I am of the thinking that this has somehow got lost from my HC800 and I need to replace it. I can't just copy the ntpd from the HC300 or 7" screens as they are a different architecture (arm vs i686).

I am wondering if anyone that has an HC800 can check their /usr/sbin folder and see if they have a ntpd executable file there?

If so could you please send it to me.

Many thanks,

Rick.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a beta version of Control4 OS, so I don't know that I can send you my copy of ntpd, and it may also require libraries that are not included.

You also should have a .deb package in /mnt/internal/packages/ntpd_----version----.deb

If you do, you should be able to do a dpkg -i packagename,  and it should install it.

If you don't have ntpd installed, and that doesn't do it, I'd save out your project a few times in a few safe places, and have your dealer do a factory restore followed by bringing it up to the latest OS version.

I'd probably do that even if dpkg -i solves your specific ntpd issue, since if ntpd wasn't not properly installed, what else is not working that you don't know about?

Sorry you're having issues.

RyanE

Hi Ryan,

Thanks very much for your help. You give me the info that I required.

I extracted the exes out of the deb package located at:

./mnt/internal/packages/ntpd_4.2.6p4-13_i386v2.deb

Commands:

ar vx ntpd_4.2.6p4-13_i386v2.deb

gets container files:

debian-binary

control.tar.gz

data.tar.gz

tar -xzvf data.tar.gz ---> gets all files from data.tar.gz

I then copied the ntpd over to the sbin folder and restarted the system and thankfully all is working well now

Now when logged into any client (e.g. HC300C) and then type ‘ntpq –p’ I get the following:

~# ntpq -p

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter

==============================================================================

director        LOCAL(0)         6 u   10   16    1    0.288  994.185   0.004

~#

~# date

Thu Jan 1 10:11:50 GMT 2015

~#

Thanks again and happy new year.

Rick.

Archived