C4 Forums | Control4

Synchronization of variables to web

Engineerisaac

I'm reaching out to you guys because I am simply curious on what the best practice would be for running a driver that synchronizes variables to a web service either via incremental timer or some format of restful update.

I know it's rather a broad request but I'm really just looking for some idea or maybe if someone's willing example code on a good practice that won't drain the processor power of the controller but yet keep variables within sync of a http baised cloud service.

I'm asking for help because my understanding in this area is rather limited even though I'm well-versed in Lua I know that control for has limitations on what Lua can do.

I guess I need to be more clear to I'm sorry you guys.

I'm looking for this action to be automated within the driver itself not within composers actions.

So I guess my real goal here is this let's say that the customer has a thermostat and I want to read the thermostats temperature data so as a dealer I would add this magic driver to my project then go into my thermostat and select on temperature change update variable.

Now on this magic driver when it notices that the variable has changed it automatically sends the update to the web service.

Maybe I'm really asking how can I automatically send a post request from that driver when that drivers variable changes.

Expressively I'm looking for Lua based help

Archived