C4 Forums | Control4

Any trick on how to add an hc300 as a slave?

Since my dealer left, I have been struggling to keep my system up and running and add to it as needed. I am on 1.7.4 and am trying to add a hc300 to the system in a separate room as a "slave". I successfully added it but am running into a few problems.

First, does the HC300 take the place of a muxlab video balun or do I need the balun also to be able to view video?

Second, I am using a home theater in a box solution in the other room. I have an audio balun connected to rca cables from one room to the other. I am able to get one source with sound but nothing else. Can I use the HC300 slave as a way to get sound from all inputs? If so, what connections do I need to make?

If this does not work, can I splice the rca audio cables with speaker wire and have that as an out on the amplifier and run it through the audio balun into the home theater in a box unit?

Is there anything else that I am not thinking of?

Thanks.

The HC300 does not replace a video Balun. A Balun just allows you to create a video or audio cable from a cat5/6 cable. So if you are sending the video from a controller you would need a cable to get it from the controller to the TV, that cable could use a pair of baluns to accomplish that.

The HC300 can digitize one audio input and send it over your networks to another control4 product (controller or speaker point) with audio outs. In this sense it could replace an audio balun, but everything will be delayed 2 seconds not good if you are trying to keep audio and video in sync.

Sounds like you are trying to send the audio and video feed from the first room source to the second room. To do this you need to make a path for the audio and video to the second room as an input. Baluns will help if you have several cat5/6 cables from one room to another. One pair of baluns for audio and one pair for video, or if you are doing HDMI one pair of baluns would do both and it may need one or two cat5/6 cables.

Lastly, you can splice an RCA cable into a speaker cable, but you need to maintain the connections. You cannot take a speaker output of one room and send it to an RCA input of another room without some whacky speaker to line level convertor. Speaker outs are amplified audio and RCA connections are line level <5vdc. Also trying to do all this is likely going to trash the audio quality as it is.

Give us more details of what you are trying to accomplish and I can make some suggestions...

The HC300 does not replace a video Balun. A Balun just allows you to create a video or audio cable from a cat5/6 cable. So if you are sending the video from a controller you would need a cable to get it from the controller to the TV, that cable could use a pair of baluns to accomplish that.

The HC300 can digitize one audio input and send it over your networks to another control4 product (controller or speaker point) with audio outs. In this sense it could replace an audio balun, but everything will be delayed 2 seconds not good if you are trying to keep audio and video in sync.

Sounds like you are trying to send the audio and video feed from the first room source to the second room. To do this you need to make a path for the audio and video to the second room as an input. Baluns will help if you have several cat5/6 cables from one room to another. One pair of baluns for audio and one pair for video, or if you are doing HDMI one pair of baluns would do both and it may need one or two cat5/6 cables.

Lastly, you can splice an RCA cable into a speaker cable, but you need to maintain the connections. You cannot take a speaker output of one room and send it to an RCA input of another room without some whacky speaker to line level convertor. Speaker outs are amplified audio and RCA connections are line level <5vdc. Also trying to do all this is likely going to trash the audio quality as it is.

Give us more details of what you are trying to accomplish and I can make some suggestions...

First, thanks for the reply. I have two cat6 runs going into the second room and one cat6 run that has been altered for a phone connection. It is a cat6 cable but has been spliced in some form or fashion. I wanted to add the hc300 to be able to control the tv and speaker system. The home closet has all the video and audio equipment. Basically, I just want to add the second room to the system and have audio, video and internet. I have a video balun and rca audio balun run to the room. Since the amplifier only uses speaker wires for outs, I was trying to figure out how to get the amplifier to output into rca cables, have the rca cables go through the audio balun and have the balun go into the receiver in the second room. I think I am short one cat6 run which is causing the problem. I was thinking that the hc300 could take the place of either the video or audio balun so that I would have enough connections.

Thanks again for the input. Things which appear simple are never simple.

Ok. My system is on the fritz and I just don't know how to fix it. I am sure that it is some simple programming that is messed up but I can't seem to fix it. I seemed to have lost the ability to add zones to a room where music is playing. Does anyone know what is causing this? If someone does offer remote programming, please let me know your cost or if you may be interested in some barter. Thanks.

Archived