C4 Forums | Control4

Matrix Freezing - Wyrestorm

I'm hoping someone can help me as I don't think I have ever been this frustrated. A new Control4 system was installed in my home 2 weeks ago and it hasn't worked right even for one day. My installer can't seem to figure out the issue, but I don't think they have a great amount of experience with video distribution via Control4. Not to elaborate much, but I just moved to Southern California and have no experience with dealers in this area. The company who wires these homes is also a Control 4 dealer/installer so I contacted Control4 to get a recommendation. Control4 said this dealer was very qualified so I went with them to avoid the he said/she said blaming if something didn't work. I'm starting to regret it but I don't have many options at this point.

I have a rack in my closet set up to distribute 3 DirecTV DVR's, a Samsung Blu-Ray and 2 Kaleidescape sources to 4 different televisions. The house is wired via cat 5e with HDMI at both ends. They are using a Wyrestorm 6x6 HDMI matrix. Everything works perfectly with the video feeds. Every source can be viewed on every television with no issues at all. The problem is that the Wyrestorm matrix will freeze after 30-45 minutes of not being used. For example, I can be watching DVR1 in my family room and everything is great. If I turn everything off and leave it for an hour or more, I can press the watch tv button in that room and it doesn't matter which source I select it will start up with the last source I was viewing. Control4 will be controlling the right source but the wrong source will be viewed on the television. I can manually change the matrix in the closet to set the right source, but that is a major pain. The same thing happens if I watch a movie on Kaleidescape. Everything will be fine, but by the end of the movie I can't change sources on the matrix. If I select a different source on that television the Control4 controller will switch to the new source and control it, but the Kaleidescape will still be on the television. I will have to manually change the matrix in the closet. If I power down the Wyrestorm and power it on again, it will work perfectly in every room for 30-45 minutes and then freeze again. Any ideas?

They swapped it out for a new Wyrestorm and the same thing happens. Has anyone else had any issues with Wyrestorm switching HDMI sources? Are there any settings that my installer might be missing? Are there more reputable matrix switchers out there? Thanks so much for any assistance.

I'm hoping someone can help me as I don't think I have ever been this frustrated. A new Control4 system was installed in my home 2 weeks ago and it hasn't worked right even for one day. My installer can't seem to figure out the issue, but I don't think they have a great amount of experience with video distribution via Control4. Not to elaborate much, but I just moved to Southern California and have no experience with dealers in this area. The company who wires these homes is also a Control 4 dealer/installer so I contacted Control4 to get a recommendation. Control4 said this dealer was very qualified so I went with them to avoid the he said/she said blaming if something didn't work. I'm starting to regret it but I don't have many options at this point.

I have a rack in my closet set up to distribute 3 DirecTV DVR's, a Samsung Blu-Ray and 2 Kaleidescape sources to 4 different televisions. The house is wired via cat 5e with HDMI at both ends. They are using a Wyrestorm 6x6 HDMI matrix. Everything works perfectly with the video feeds. Every source can be viewed on every television with no issues at all. The problem is that the Wyrestorm matrix will freeze after 30-45 minutes of not being used. For example, I can be watching DVR1 in my family room and everything is great. If I turn everything off and leave it for an hour or more, I can press the watch tv button in that room and it doesn't matter which source I select it will start up with the last source I was viewing. Control4 will be controlling the right source but the wrong source will be viewed on the television. I can manually change the matrix in the closet to set the right source, but that is a major pain. The same thing happens if I watch a movie on Kaleidescape. Everything will be fine, but by the end of the movie I can't change sources on the matrix. If I select a different source on that television the Control4 controller will switch to the new source and control it, but the Kaleidescape will still be on the television. I will have to manually change the matrix in the closet. If I power down the Wyrestorm and power it on again, it will work perfectly in every room for 30-45 minutes and then freeze again. Any ideas?

They swapped it out for a new Wyrestorm and the same thing happens. Has anyone else had any issues with Wyrestorm switching HDMI sources? Are there any settings that my installer might be missing? Are there more reputable matrix switchers out there? Thanks so much for any assistance.

Is the Wyrestorm being controlled via RS232 or IP? If it is being controlled via IP it sounds like it MAY be losing TCP connectivity. I am a Crestron dealer/programmer so I am not 100% sure you can do the following from a C4 controller, but ask your dealer if they can do a ping/trace route FROM THE CONTROLLER to the Wyrestorm when it is NOT responding and see what the results are. If the ping/trace route fails then you are losing TCP/IP connectivity between the C4 controller and the video switch. This will also show if you are dropping packets between the controller and switch which will cause issues.

If the ping/trace route comes back without any packets lost OR if you are controlling the Wyrestorm via RS-232 then I would suggest you have your dealer look and see if the controller is actually sending commands to the switcher and if the switcher is responding. If your dealer can see the commands being sent from the controller to the switcher but the switcher is not responding then your dealer has an idea of where to start. Visa Versa if the controller is not sending the commands then he/she knows where to start.

Also I would test and verify all cabling to and from the Wyrestorm. Also make sure the Wyrestorm has a static IP address and is NOT using DHCP if it's being controlled via IP.

Hope that helps.

Could also be the driver going offline as well. Doesn't sound like a physical failure of the device since you can change the sources manually on the device.

I agree, check the driver connections, driver functionality via logging and see if its dropping connection. Could be bad wiring of RS232 cable or cat5 or bad switch port, etc...

Depending on how the driver is written, good drivers have good logging to note if it is sending the commands. Of course, it could even be upstream as zigbee packets may be getting lost from the remote to the controller... Easy way is to get into the project and see if you can control it from Composer.

Good luck...

Archived