C4 Forums | Control4

Problem with Samsung TV and sound bar IR code changing???

Hi all,

I ran into a problem with volume IR code of Samsung TV and sound bar doesn't response to the IR codes which was learn from the Samsung remotes from time to time.

This installation is in a high- rise apartment, and the apartment unit have two floors and around 1,000 square feet each floor, in rectangular shape. There is a set of stair cases in the middle of the longer side of the rectangular shape layout connecting two floors. On the top floor, the living room is on one end, then the staircase being in the middle, and the kitchen and nook on the other end(around 500 square feet). On the lower floor, there are the Den, Master bedroom and a Dressing room. There are six Samsung TVs and two Samsung sound bars in the apartment. There are one TV in each of the room/area that was mentioned above, expect there are two TVs in the kitchen and nook area. One sound bar is in the master bedroom, and the other is in the kitchen and nook area installed under the TV in the nook. Both of the sound bars came with one wireless subwoofer with each sound bar.

From time to time, some of the TVs in the apartment doesn't response to the volume control IR command from the Control4 system. In example, it does nothing when the volume up, down, or mute button is pressed on the Control4 remote, but the IR bug that is attached to the TV from Control4 controller flashes red like normal. The IR bug flashes but the volume controls; mainly volume up, down or mute; doesn't response, however, the TV still can be turn on or off with the Control4 system.

In order to correct this problem, I have to go into composer and the affected TVs or sound bars drivers and relearn the IR code of the volume up, down, and mute from the Samsung remotes. However, the problem still persist, and it already happened four times already in the past 8 months.

Now I wonder, could the TVs and sound bars some how interference with each other, and change which set of IR code they would accept or response to?

Please let me know if you know of a theory that could cause this kind of problem.

Thank you.

Do you have controllers behind each TV or are you feeding the IR through baluns? If baluns, what controller is sending the IR?

We had an odd occurrence where an HC250 wouldn't power the IR through baluns, but when we switched to using the IO extender, it worked fine.

Maybe try some different things like that. I only happened upon this because one of the TVs was already connected to the IO and the rest to the 250.

Archived