C4 Forums | Control4

New install.... more questions

Hey guys I finally went ahead and got my system installed. Its tough to know what u want without having the system in place and now that I have I'd like to fine tune things a bit.

1. I have a duel single-pole light switch, tied to the floor lights inside and front door light. is there a C4 switch for this or do I have to install a 4gang box to accommodate two c4 switches?

2. My S/O and I have hectic schedules and I thought it would be sweet if our weekly calender (Apple) appeared on the TV each morning. Is there a way to integrate the apple calender to the system?

3. The alarm system is connected to C4 system, can I have it text me each time the door is open? right now my alarm company will only do so if the door is open for more than 60sec. I would like to know when the house keeper arrives as she opens the door.

4. I only have cameras on my system (Panasonic IP cams) I would like to store video/pics during triggers. I do not have a DVR but I have an Apple Time Capsule HD that is connected to the system. Could I use this?

5. where can i get manuals for the system? I have a home in DC and have friends stay there but its tough trying to explain the system to them. (lights, Media, Security, A/V) A Manual that i can print out would be sweet. Also a manual and sample how-tos for composerHE.

6. Adding apps that are not connected to the C4 to the interface. I have a Nest thermostat and i would like to add the icon to the C4 interface on the screen. is this possible or will I have to continue doing what I'm doing and flip flopping from the C4 app and the Nest app?

7. How long do systems last and how long before I have to upgrade the whole system?

8. Could someone recommend to me a 4-zone receiver.

Other things I'd like system to do is:

- Wake up bedroom shades and lights news/weekly schedule

- Personnel entrance settings for her and I using our Key fobs

- Integration of my orbit irrigation system

1. No, there is not a dual single pole switch or dimmer available from C4. You could install a double gang box (each dimmer is a single gang)

2. not sure, although I would guess you could use a Mac mini and some creative scheduling to make this happen.

3. I don't think it would be a good idea to get a text everytime the door opens. Unless you are in charge of a security firm and watching a very high profile client. Otherwise this would get old fast. Perhaps install a quikset lock and give the maid her own code that only works on certain days and during a set time and then get a text when she shows up.

4. a dvr would be the best route for this. ALso some cameras can take an SD card. This may be another route to look into.

5. No manual is available for general use, as every system is different and it would be inpracticle. Your dealer would need to custom make one for you based on your system. Thats between you and him.

as for composer HE - here you go. http://www.control4.com/documentation/Composer_HE_User_Guide/whnjs.htm

6. sorry, you can not add the nest app to the C4 system.

7. this is up to you and based on luck. Just like any other electronic purchase you have ever made.

8. Your better off with a 4 zone C4 amp for distributed audio. Receivers are kind of hit or miss and do not provide feedback, etc.

9. as long as you have shades that are controllable and dimmers/switchs installed you can use a wake up agent.

10. programming using composer and using a card access key fob yes. Using your car key fob, not so much.

11. no idea about your irrigation system. it would need to be able to integrate somehow with RS232 or IP. Then if it did do this a driver would have to be written

Archived