C4 Forums | Control4

Null Modem Cable

AJF

I know you need a null modem cable to connect a Sony 777 to a controller. But do you need this type of cable to connect ANY component that has RS 232 to a C4 Controller ? My TV and receiver both (supposedly) support RS232 so I'd like to try connecting them to an HTC.

Strictly speaking you need a null modem cable when you are connecting 2 DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) devices together. The null modem cable acts like a DCE (Data Circuit-Terminating Equipment).

Weather a particular device is DTE or DCE is dependent on how the manufacturer built the device. For example the C4 HC-300 is DTE and the Sony 777 is also DTE, so you will need a null modem. However your TV and/or receiver may be DTE or DCE so you will have to look it up in the manual or try a null modem cable. If that does not work than a regular straight serial cable.

So to answer your question it depends on the devices that you are connecting as to weather you will need a null modem cable. Sometimes you will need a null modem and sometimes you won't. However, in my experience most of the time you will need a null modem cable.

Archived