C4 Forums | Control4

Netgear Switch RIDICULOUSLY LOUD!

AJF

I just installed a Netgear GS724TP switch which is supposed to work well with C4 and I can hear the cooling fans 3 rooms away! What a POS!

Anyone else using this or any other Netgear switches? As it stands now, I'm going to have to dump it and get something else.

Thanks Dan. I sent you an email about it because I think I'm going to switch to the Dell that you use.

I wanted to know if the Dell switches are loud? Also, are they easy to set-up? It says in their manual that you need to hook the switch up with a serial cable to a computer for the initial set-up which I thought was odd ( I thought it would all be done through ethernet connection).

i have an FS726TP and since my install in july i think my installer has been out once a week trouble shooting. i ordered a dell power connect 3424P today (dell is offering $300 off, so it is $699)

http://www.dell.com:80/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_3424p?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

i am hoping it solves my problems. by the way i have a FS726TP for sale! :)

tebery

i have an FS726TP and since my install in july i think my installer has been out once a week trouble shooting. i ordered a dell power connect 3424P today (dell is offering $300 off, so it is $699)

http://www.dell.com:80/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_3424p?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

i am hoping it solves my problems. by the way i have a FS726TP for sale! :)

tebery

I ordered one yesterday! :) There's a guy selling 3 of them used on ebay for $300 or best offer if anyone cares to take the chance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Cisco makes a new series of switches targetted at the home market and small enterprises. They are called the Catalyst Express. they are solid state devices with no fans. There are 2 series : 500 Series10/100 Ethernet, and the 520 Series which includes POE (for all of your ethernet touchscreens, IP Cameras and POE wireless AP's). These also have a very easy to use web GUIso you don't need to be cisco certified to configure them. I have two installed in my home and they are completely silent.

A couple more bucks than the netgear or dell, but far more feature rich and very affordable solution from the leader of the networking world.

We are Cisco Certified and we only use HP Procurve Switches, we rarely use the Ciscos. They are rock solid, and reliable. The biggest plus is that they have a LIFE TIME phone support and advance replacement warranty. Take a look at the entry level 1800 series switches http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/ProCurve_Switch_1800_Series/overview.htm. They are Gigabit, support jumbo frames, are web manageable, etc.

I posted a FYI Networking article on here about 6 or 7 months ago talking about theses switches - http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=1161

GoGo D.

• 5 months later...

Any advice would be appreciated.

The networking backbone for my home system is a Netgear GS748T and also a PowerDsine 6012 for POE. The house is wired with CAT6 throughout. We also have 4 linksys wireless for supporting the 10.5 panels.

This supports both our computers and C4.

This weekend the Netgear stopped working.

I am an unhappy camper. Also, I have never liked the loud fan noise. I believe that both the GS748T and the 6012 are loud but it could be be primarily one or the other since they are right next to each other on the rack.

I do not mind replacing one or the other or both but I would like to have a rock solid and quiet system. The majority of ports are C4 related if that helps. We have 7 computers and several other wired spots for movement. I prefer all the computers to be hooked in wired but might have a laptop in the future wireless.

Thanks for any advice.

Unfortunately, it looks like a fan is unavoidable if you want PoE or gigabit speed in a 24-port switch.

If you had said POE *and* gigabit it'd be true but ;)

The HP Procurve 1800-24G gives you 24 GigE ports and it's fanless. Very good switch overall, only drawback is its lack of STP implementation, 99% not an issue for residential installs.

Let ask a different way.

My current set up Netgear 48 port giga switch and POE by PowerDsine 6012 supports 12 ports of POE.

Maybe I am wrong but I dont really need giga for C4 POE ports.

What if I had two 24 ports: One 24 Port giga with no POE and one with 24 port not giga but with POE. I currently use about 42 or the 48 ports. Can you then tie the two together. Do you lose the giga on the ones on the giga switch.

Would this potentially be a way to get quiet, speed where needed and POE where needed.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

what do you think of the following equipment for stability and quiet

1) hp procurve 1800-24G

2) hp procurve 2610-24 12 pwr (is this fanless or fairly quiet)

3) Or instead of 2 above - use 2 netgear fs116P plus 1 above

anythoughts about negatives of hooking together 2 or 3 switches vs 1 switch and a separate poe?

Thanks for the help

Archived