C4 Forums | Control4

Controller not available in composer software after switching routers

Hi scthomp4267

Try this

1) This can be caused by several issues.

2) Open composer in virtual mode and go to

tools-system manager.

a) Connect to your director.

B) On the right side pane under the status tab,

verify that director has a green enabled

status next to it.

c) Please enable it if it is not enabled.

d) Once enabled, exit Composer.

e) Wait several minutes.

f) Log back in using Composer.

g) The director IP address should then show

up in the list of directors window when

connecting to local director.

3) Verify that you have the same subnet address

on your laptop as the director and the router.

4) Make sure that MAC address filtering, IGMP

filtering, or Spanning Tree Filtering, parental

controls, or firewall is not enabled on the

router or switch.

a) We require port 80 to be open on any

router or layer 3 or 4 switches.

Hi

5) This may the result of a security application

such as a firewall, virus protection suite, or

other security oriented software.

a) Known offenders are:

i) “Zone Alarm”.

ii) “Norton Security (Worm Protection)”.

iii) “Microsoft Firewall”.

B) These programs will need to be disabled or

have the settings changed to allow for our

communication. You will need to contact

the administrator of those programs for

further configuration. Figure A-3

6) Verify that the IP address that the controller is

using is valid or reachable from your laptop.

a) From start-run, type ‘cmd’ and press

enter.

B) A DOS box will open.

c) At that prompt enter ‘ping

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <ip address>’ and press

enter.

d) If you get replies it is a valid address.

e) If you get denials or destination host

unreachable, please check the local

network router to verify that it is seeing the

controller and your laptop.

What router are you now using? Brand, model?

Are you accessing the controller through a wireless connection from your computer to the router?

the reason I ask, some routers (business class, not consumer) purposefully block access from the wireless portion of your LAN to the wired portion of your LAN. You might need to create rules within your router's software to allow this pass through.

Thanks for the advice.

Ended up that the installer had configured my controller with a static IP address. Once I changed the controller to use a dynamic IP address everything worked perfectly. FYI...the installer installed a 3Com OfficeConnect router which turned out to be horribly slow. I switched to a Ruckus Wireless Mediaflex router. Best wireless router I've ever used.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

Scott

I would recommend you go back to a static IP for the controller. There are many occasions where you can end up with an IP conflict with other devices using your router. It will save you headaches down the road. It is easy to setup and I am sure that anyone would assist you if you needed help.

First thing that came to mind was a different default gateway.

Eg. Dlink 192.168.0.1

Eg Linksys 192.168.1.1

If your on 192.168.0.50 as static IP for the controller then switch over to a Linksys, once your computers are online and grap a DHCP IP they wont be able to talk to the controller on a different gateway.

That is not true. First of all the D-Link is a more stable router. The best idea would be to go to a business class router. Something that can handle more traffic. Pick on your own but I work for and ISP and D-Link is more stable for not a lot more money. If I had to choose I would pick Cisco because they have been the most stable platform for a long time. But monetarily D-Link is in line.

I'd second that - but also say that Linksys BUSINESS line as a good 2nd to Cisco (as this line is actually a lower end line of Cisco... Cisco now owns Linksys and is putting their LOW end product under the Linksys Business line).

That is not true. First of all the D-Link is a more stable router. The best idea would be to go to a business class router. Something that can handle more traffic. Pick on your own but I work for and ISP and D-Link is more stable for not a lot more money. If I had to choose I would pick Cisco because they have been the most stable platform for a long time. But monetarily D-Link is in line.

What is not true?...

IMO I have had bad luck with dlink. They are fine for out of the box setups that dont require tweaking but when you start to do port forwarding and such sometimes they act up and don't do what you program in. When I can, I always use linksys routers in most installs, have never had any issues with them except for one which was bad out of the box.

For a bigger setup I would get a dedicated pc and run pFsense on it IMO best homebrew router I have used so far and cheap to boot. Plus you can throw in 1000 mbit cards in them for good traffic flow if you need it.

For the most part though all of our installs have been home based so a regular linksys from best buy does the job.

See that's where I would disagree - we've had too many problems with the 'el cheepo Linksys from Best Buy - too many customers call to say things stopped working etc... and a SIMPLE reboot of the box ALWAYS fixes it. IMHO - that's just terrible / cheap product... and thus we won't touch those boxes with a ten foot pole! :)

what routers would you reccomend and what price range are they in?

Its hard for some smaller installs to get the homeowner to fork over $$ for somsething they can buy at futureshop or bestbuy... I know they are better but sometimes customers are just cheap like that.

Archived