C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer with Compact Fluorscent

I'm installing 75 dimmers in a house and the entire house has the new CF can lights. The lights work fine in the on position, but in the off position the lights flicker. Using a voltage meter it appears the dimmers are still providing .29 Volts through the dimmer in the off position. Is there any solutions for me here? I really don't want to replace all 75 dimmers with switches - and we've already spent $1500 on the CF bulbs in a effort to make the house a little more green.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sorry you are finding this out the hard way, but don't use the C4 dimmers with CFLs. A C4 dimmer does not switch the power on/off like a C4 switch does. There have been several threads on this forum on this topic. I am surprised you C4 dealer did not know that the dimers might not work with the CFSs.

If you replace all the dimmers with C4 switches your problem will be solved, however you will never be able to dim the existing CFLs. You could replace the CFLs eith CFLs that can be dimmed.

The problem seems to go away when I put multiple CF bulbs on a dimmer... meaning if I have two or more CF's on a dimmer they do not flicker.

This is because the small amount of current that leaks out of the dimmer due to the TRIAC is not enough to power the starter circuit in more than one CFL. This does not negate the fact that the C4 dimmers are not designed or rated to be used with normal CFLs.

I would encourage you to search this forum or contact your C4 dealer about using C4 dimmers with standard CFL bulbs. C4 dimmers are not rated for use with normal CFLs nor does C4 recommend that dimmers be use with normal CFLs.

• 1 month later...

Archived