C4 Forums | Control4

PUCK Dimmers goes into lock mode

Hi Guys, Having  a issue on one of my sites, i install plenty of puck dimmers and this one is really weird...

The site is currently in finishin up phase so theres no controller yet... Puck dimmers are insalled with neutrals inside the boxes. Load is normal 220V 50W Downlights. The C4 lights on their own, unprogrammed works fine, but as soon as we switch on a non c4 light in the next room it puts the c4 dimmer in lock mode. (15 presses on AUX 1 solves this until someone switches on or off another non c4 light)

The puck dimmers are installed properly and not on a mesh network.

Is this a hardware issue or do i have to take a controller there and get the software updated and joined to a zigbee mesh ?

Any info will be greatly appreciated :)

What a curly one-what country are you in?  Have you polarity tested the power supply at the switch - Phase to Earth ,Phase to Neutral and Neutral to Earth. Have you disconnected the cable that goes into Aux1 and measured to earth/neutral while switching the non c4 lights that have been causing the issue - maybe there is a small induced voltage that is causing the puck to switch the load on (not actually going into a locked mode)?. 

I hope someone else can chime in with a few suggestions to help.

HI DF

Im in South Africa, let me tell you what i did today. Decided to add and update the puck dimmers by bringing a HC800 in. Updated pucks did help a bit.  BUT.... The same permanent live that is supplying the puck dimmer is also supplying a normal latch non C4 switch with cree LED footlights. When i switch on the LED footlights i get a quick "flash" on the downlighters on the puck dimmer load. This seems to me that the LED footlighs are pushing some form of a spike into the Neutral on the puk dimmer.  Composer says its a Short Circuit on the puck dimmer.... some of the circuits work perfectly everytime!

Hi AntiMiracleMan,

What you are describing sounds like one of the following,

Possibility 1- Cheap LED driver or lamps creating radio interference that the Puck is momentarily reacting too. (LED's and radio interference is reasonably well documented on the web),makes sense if the problematic led circuit is in the next room. - Try powering the puck from an extension lead plugged into another circuit to see if the puck still reacts when the non C4 lighting is switched, if so try replacing the led lamps/drivers.

Possibility 2- Leds are pushing some form of spike like you suspect - Try installing a capacity like Schneider Electrics 31CAP across the problematic led circuit, 

http://updates.clipsal.com/clipsalonline/Files/Brochures/W0001507.pdf

Good Luck,

Keep me updated.

Thanks DF, Im sending my diagram through to the C4 guys and hoping on a possitive feedback, I just dont want to go install a cap over the LED circuit as i did not install it. We might have to get that contractor to see if we can change it, Which i can gaurentee wont happen.

Some more feedback, If i dim or switch the lights off from within composer it ramps down perfectly, but with a press from aux 1 it switches off like a slow strobe light. Which points me to a wiring issue.

Archived