C4 Forums | Control4

No remote codes for Sharp Aquos?

I am a new user. I recently bought a home with the system already installed, and in just trying to learn it's capabilities and get it set up as I wish I have spent several hundred dollars in service calls to a dealer.

My pride and joy is a Sharp Aquos 52" LCD TV. The dealer is telling me that the C4 remote is not capable of powering the Sharp on, thus every time I want to watch TV, I have to turn the TV on using the Sharp remote and then control it using the C4 remote. Can anyone comment on or confirm that the C4 remote is not capable of learning the code to power it on?

Thanks

I have a 52" Sharp Aquos LCD and it works perfectly with C4. You'll need an IR bud (or serial control) to the TV, so that may be the problem. Your C4 remote won't "directly" control it. Instead, the C4 remote talks to the Controller (the large black C4 box somewhere in the house, maybe right by the TV but mine are in an equipment closet). That controller then sends out the Sharp IR codes over, for example, a Cat5 cable to the TV location, where you'd have the wires of the Cat 5 connected to an IR bud that would turn that impulse into IR codes.

The issue might be if your controller is somewhere else in the house and there's no network or other cable to carry the IR codes remote signal from the controller to the IR bud. Is that the case?

--Jason

Ahhhhh....you're right. Thats it. I know in my other home theater environment they have the IR device over the TV receptor. It's a shame they can't have a hybrid remote with both the C4 AND IR capability.

Thanks

It's kind of funny, we've had our C4 remotes for ~8 months now and it's still hard not to point it at the thing you're trying to control. Old habits die hard I suppose . . .

So is your controller in another location? And do you have any network or coax connecting the two locations? I believe an installer could run the IR signals over either one of those.

Another option, though it would only be half a solution, would be to install a wireless C4 outlet and plug the TV in. Your dealer could then program your remote so that when you're watching TV and want to turn it off, it cuts power to the outlet.

CAVEAT: I have no idea whether it's bad for a TV to be turned off in this way (as opposed to turning it off but leaving power on. Additionally, I don't think most TVs would come on immediately when power is restored, so you would still need the Sharp remote to turn it back on.

--Jason

Archived