C4 Forums | Control4

10.5 Touch Screen and Controllers

Dear Everyone:

I am a newbie to this sight so please forgive the stupid questions.

I recently purchased through a clearance sale

The AVMMC1

The AVMHTC1

The TSM1051

I have wanted a home automation system for so long and good not pass up the deal. As I am waiting for the this equipment to arrive, I contacted a dealer in my area who said he would install the items for me. (As I now realize, the installs are not cheap, oh well this is America) Since I am waiting for the items and the date of install, I have been reading the posts on here which are very interesting by the way.

Now to my questions. Please for give me in advance, if I ask to many.

The equipment I purchased seems to be outdated (I guess that is why they were on clearance) is this a MAJOR issue? or are there software upgrades that the installer/dealer will have?

Also what is/are the major differences to the 10.5 Touch screen version 1 and 2? Is it software or hardware also?

Do I need the audio matrix or amp to power my whole house speakers or can I use my own multi room amp?

Also, I want to begin ripping my CDs (I have approx. 2,000) onto a hard drive, as I spoke to the installer, he recommended a Network hard drive. I forgot to ask him for a recommendation. I looked at LaCie brand, or is Western Digital or Seagate okay? Is there one that works better? Can my purchases work with Usb 2.0? Can I hook up more than one hard drive or just get a 2tb?

Any other advice will be more than well received.

Thanks so much!

yes the equipment you have is outdated. it will support all current features through an update, but will not support some of the new features in upcoming releases. at that time you would have to update you would have to put in an hc300 as your main controller. also yes i would recommend using an audio matrix switch with your existing amp. this way you would be able to take advantage of multi room multi source. unless of course you have a russound mutliroom amp that will work with c4. as for the network drive, wait for your dealer as a lot of dealer use different drives. kinda a personal preference thing. hope this helps.

also your install price is probably high because the items didn't come from a dealer. your lucky cause my company won't install any equipment that did not come from an authorized dealer.

jwhit:

Thanks so much for your help. You are right about the authorized dealer thing. I found the C4 dealer/installer at C4 site and fortunately for me he know my AV equipment sales man as I have purchased over 10 HD tvs from him, so he knew I am not trying to skimp out on him. I got the equip from the tweeter firehouse clearance sale and thought I was saving money (which I had done the research first) anyway. Now that I have found you guys I just want to make sure I am aware of everything it can and cannot do so I do not waste time or money DREAMING on what will never happen.

As for the v1 and v2 10.5 touch screen is there a true difference?

I really cannot wait for this stuff to get installed and up and running. I am waiting for a couple of AV pieces to come in before having the installer come over.

I have a system with all three of the parts you mention (bought it 1-2 years ago), and its alive, well, and working fine. The touchscreen originally came with a base, if you don't have one you may be screwed. Otherwise it should work. I don't see any reason why someone couldn't get it working, provided you find a dealer who is willing to take it on. One caveat on the touchscreen: even though it looks cool and costs 10x what a remote costs, the touchscreens are a pain to use for everyday TV use, etc. You may want to buy an extra V2 remote from your dealer for $150...they are a good deal they are nice to have laying around. Touchscreens are nicer for photos, cameras, and browsing music/movies. That said, for browsing music/movies you will almost always find it easier to use your GUIs on the TV.

As for network storage, in my view its more of a nice to have than a necessity. I initially had a PC with music that I kept always on and accessed through the network. The advantage was I never had iTunes syncing problems, the downside was that the PC had to be on at all times. I am toying with the idea of moving it back since the syncing doesn't always work perfectly. Your MC also has a 80 gig HD so there's no reason you can't load your music onto that via the network (that's why its there), but its a little more of a pain if you want to keep updating it.

Waynechi:

Thanks alot for the intel, I was very concerned that I just wasted some money! I don't mind paying a dealer to get things up and running as everyone has to eat in America. JUST don't ask me to pay for the GAS!

What I dont get is why C4 made a theater and media controller, I would think even in 2005 it was something people would have wanted period.

Also, Thank GOD that touch screen will still work.

If anyone else has any ideas or comments, please let me know. I want to get 200% out of C4.

The HTC is a lower price point than the MC. The HTC was replaced by the HC-300 and the MC by the HC-500. The HC-300 and HTC are meant to anchor a TV in a single room, while the MC and HC-500 usually play a bigger role at the center of a multi-room project..e,g. streams music to multiple rooms.

The touchscreen originally came with a base, if you don't have one you may be screwed.

The ORIGINAL 10.5" TS did NOT come with the rechargable docking station - it was an optional add-on. It only came with the power cord to re-charge the unit.

The v2 10.5" TS DOES come with the charging / docking station and thus why it costs more than the v1 unit.

FYI

Shawn

Archived