C4 Forums | Control4

Wall Mounted Back boxes

Deleted

Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for a little information regarding C4 light switches/dimmers/keypads.

Here in England our garages tend to be brick built and with no plaster on the internal walls. Power cables are simply pinned to the brick and run to power and light switches and sockets. The sockets are wall-mounted (rather than sunk) and have a back box around 1" deep.

Because of the depth of a C4 switch, the back box would have to be about 3" deep which would mean the switch would protrude too far. Do you guys sometimes have to put a switch on the wall without the backbox being buried? Is there a "special" type of US backbox to help in this area?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

I have the situation of mounting C4 switches to a plywood panel to control some special lighting. These are not sunk into a wall like most switches. We're simply using metal boxes, but as you point out they are about 3" deep so they accept the C4 switch. We considered shallower boxes (eg 1" deep) but they would only work with conventional switches.

You might be able to minimize the amount of switches in sight by putting the real load switch in a closet somewhere and then using a 6 button keypad to do the job of several switches. At least that way you'd have fewer 3" deep boxes on the wall.

Hello Bebster, thanks for the reply.

I was considering that I might have to make a container in which to "sink" the backbox, maybe that is the solution.

Your idea of 'hiding' the dimmer and using a keypad might have some mileage as I also have an electrically operated garage door (believe it or not they are not particularly common over here) and would be able to include control of the lights and door in one keypad.

Thanks again Bebster.

Archived