C4 Forums | Control4

Zone3 on Onkyo Receiver issue

Hi all,

I have a Onkyo TX-SR905 receiver with multiple zones.

The main zone output is used to drive a 5.1 surround set in the living, the zone 2 output is used for a couple of outdoor speakers in the garden and I'm using the zone 3 output for the radio distribution for the rest of the house.

(for some strange reason the control4 multi tuner is not sold in europe....and other products are very expensive..besides that the receiver has the capability to do this...so why not?)

The receiver has the correct discrete codes for it, and it seems to work for the most part.

The problem I'm having is that when the living room is not turned on and someone slects the FM radio from any of the minitouches/remotes it turns on the receiver in the livingroom as well as the zone3 output.

This is quite annoying when you are reading a book or just enjoying a bit of silence, that if someone in the hous wants to listen to the radio, this comes blasting out of the livingroom speakers as well.

If the receiver is allready on, nothing changes and everything works fine....before you ask, I do not want to let this beast on all the time...

I tried creating another driver for it, which only turns on the zone3 output (tested this through a serial connection and it works just fine) but the receiver is connect through a serial port and you can only tie one device to one serial port...

any idea's??

Kind regards,

Bob Hansen

The Netherlands

Hi K&J, Yes I'm a dealer in the Netherlands (to my best knowledge the first one), but for some weird reason I'm unable to get the dealer status on this forum...I've followed all steps needed, but no response....

Bob, in general we steer clear of using receivers for more than one zone. Even though the equipment supports other zones, the logic in Control4 can get royally messed up. There may be a way to fix your issue but it's a work-around. It's true that serial ports cannot be combined in Control4 programming, but IR ports can. If you use a direct IR to your receiver, you can make three drivers that correspond to ZONE 1, ZONE 2 and ZONE 3. Link them to the same IR out port. This is how you can trick Control4 into doing this right. HOWEVER, the Onkyo may still have strange issues of it's own - it may require that the main zone is on to output on other zones - then you'd be back to square one.

Bob, in general we steer clear of using receivers for more than one zone. Even though the equipment supports other zones, the logic in Control4 can get royally messed up. There may be a way to fix your issue but it's a work-around. It's true that serial ports cannot be combined in Control4 programming, but IR ports can. If you use a direct IR to your receiver, you can make three drivers that correspond to ZONE 1, ZONE 2 and ZONE 3. Link them to the same IR out port. This is how you can trick Control4 into doing this right. HOWEVER, the Onkyo may still have strange issues of it's own - it may require that the main zone is on to output on other zones - then you'd be back to square one.

Ditto this Bob..

Good Luck

I've been working on this problem with a driverworks driver and I concur with the other two. The proxy just doesn't allow for a smooth operation between the zones. Maybe a hard core scripter can come up with something, but I can't see it.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, but I found the solution.

I've configured the receiver driver as "allways on" and control the on/off function myself through the living Room's: Power Off, Audio selection changes, Video selection changes programming.

Here I've set the main output only on if the audio or video selection changes (this is fine, since all the devices route through the receiver).

The different rooms which want to listen to the FM radio turn on/and off the Zone3 on the receiver (bit tricky shutting it off, since I need to check if any other room is also listening to the FRM radio, but with a nested if loop this just worked out fine.

Kind regards,

Bob Hansen

The Netherlands

Archived